Is anyone else only home tutoring for Tiffins?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

YourLifeSuccess YLS

Re: Is anyone else only home tutoring for Tiffins?

Post by YourLifeSuccess YLS »

Smile4, thanks. On second reading its obvious in your first post! :). But I got straight into the middle of the thread via a search I think. You are doing very well with your son (sorry, I haven't got into this DS DD DH thing!!! Its one of my pet hate, sorry. Always wondered where / who started them - MUMSNET?! And what do you use for wife, DW?! :-) )

So we are from the same area of the black and white houses I gather. Also dreading the prospect of long travel if Tiffin campaign doesn't yield the fruit. GC entrance is also not a sure thing now that Richmond is going to end the feeder / link status on certain Kingston school. Son is doing great at school, so far in all the top / most able groups but hat doesn't guarantee anything.

Would like to hear about how your son did. How many is he trying for? Only TS? Not attempting Sutton, Wallington or Wilson?

Also, could you tell me more about this mocks? I know those that conducts on at Holy Cross, but I'd like to know which is the right one for TS -also for Sutton, Wilsons and Wallington. I think Tiffinboys is the guy for this info, hope h read this too. If you don't want to post here, i hope you don't mind sending the info privately, although I'm yet to figure out / use that feature.

May I also know if you (and Tiffinboys - if you read this) started attending open days earlier, say in year 4 or even earlier?) or do they insist your child must be already in year 5?

Finally, have you ever considered Ashcroft Technology Academy? Is that viable for those in Kingston or is their allocation for those outside the catchment for too small to consider? (I think its only 21 places - wish TS is like that!).

Thanks.

YLS
Smile4

Post by Smile4 »

Yes, we are in exactly that area! Luckily GC is a sure thing for us because Ds is in a Richmond school. He is only trying for Tiffin - it's the easiest school or him to get to.

I'll leave Tiffinboys to answer your other questions. Good luck with the tutoring.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Most children in Tiffins now comes from Langley catchment area, leaving langley/Slough places for the second tier.

The parents from Tiffins area also need to prepare their children to travel to other schools as very few of Kingston/Richmond children are getting places in Tiffins.

Last Saturday, DC sat for the Slough test. We tried public transport. While the journey was long, we had fun all the way to Slough. Wish there were more children from Kingston on this journey with us. We took X26 express bus to Heathrow and from there, another bus to St. Bernard - our test centre. Took us about 90 minutes door to door.

Although DC is too young to travel alone now and journey is long, but if worse comes, then it is a possibility we will explore. Better than the comprehensive options in Kingston.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

YourLifeSuccess YLS wrote: Also, could you tell me more about this mocks?

May I also know if you (and Tiffinboys - if you read this) started attending open days earlier, say in year 4 or even earlier?) or do they insist your child must be already in year 5?
1. In our experience, mocks were very useful. In few days, I will pm you about the mocks that DC sat for . I understand you are planning for 2015 test.

2. We went to open days from year 3-4 and went to some schools again in year 5. If children like some schools, all the hard work seems worthwhile to them and they gladly put in extra efforts. My DC became very focused after visiting schools towards the end of year 4/begining of year 5.
MyUniMoney

Post by MyUniMoney »

This is a great thread, just what Im looking for - together with Patricia's tips, Im just starting to up my DIY pace for my DS in Y4.

I hope Tiffinboys and Smile4 will come back and post more about your experiences, but I can understand if you all had enough of this forum, now thats its all over for you! :)

Tiffinboys, may I know what schools did your DC apply for? I am NOT familiar with the Slough one.

Thanks.
Last edited by MyUniMoney on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

We will fill our CAF with grammars only. Tiffin, one North London grammar, the Sutton grammars and one Slough grammar.

We did not register for one of the Sutton grammars. But will try it as a Late Applicant. Let us see how they handle late applications.
MyUniMoney

Post by MyUniMoney »

We will fill our CAF with grammars only. Tiffin, one North London grammar, the Sutton grammars and one Slough grammar. We did not register for one of the Sutton grammars. But will try it as a Late Applicant. Let us see how they handle late applications.
Thanks Tiffinboys, I'm impressed you still come back here to post! :D Thanks.

I meant to say Im NOT familiar with Slough Grammar - I've not considered it but then I read your journey account by bus. Interesting - but they are not Open Selective like Tiffin though, can't find how many places they allocate to outsiders.

I assume for North London its Queen Elizabeth's Boys' School & The Latymer School ?

"We did not register for one of the Sutton grammars" Is that Greenshaw? Is it worth applying for, considering only 60 places for outsiders?

Thanks.
Ringostar

Post by Ringostar »

Region-wise details of schools is on the following page.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schools/regions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could then check about details of the schools in the region.

For example:
Surrey (Sutton/Kingston) region:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... ey-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Slough region:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... lus/slough" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enormous amount of information is on the sections on School, 11plus advise, Preparation. You will find this forum invaluable. I suggest that you go through these sections.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now