Clash of tests dates

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
surreymummy

Clash of tests dates

Post by surreymummy »

Hi all

Was wondering if any of you are faced with the dilemma of the clash of dates between a Sutton Grammar and the kent test.

I have raised the clash by phone with Kent today and queried whether my DC could sit with the children that are sick on the day, as we have a valid reason for non-attendance which we can get proof of. They are quite clear that this will not be acceptable and that this decision will not be changed, despite quite a few parents making this problem known to them. What is the point of a Kent school offering OOC places if the test clashes with an adjacent county's test? Both the grammar schools in question are within 40 mins of us.

I am told that we need to decide which school we want to sit the test for. Kent want our acceptance of DC's test place by 31st Aug. Kent have also said that we can go through an appeal if we do not sit their test, yet put the Kent school on our CAF, and they will then have to test DC, from around April 17th. This all seems a bit risky.

Is anyone else in this situation or does anyone have experience of a Kent clash in the past?

Thanks....
laretta

Re: Clash of tests dates

Post by laretta »

Hi
Have you tried asking Sutton? They might be more accommodating.
Good luck.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Would Kent not allow to sit for test with the children ill on the test date?

Surely, they will have some arrangements for such emergency.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

tiffinboys wrote:Would Kent not allow to sit for test with the children ill on the test date?

Surely, they will have some arrangements for such emergency.

The OP has asked if her DC can do the test when the children who were ill do it but this was declined -I suppose it is not an emergency but planned. I think KCC sound like they are wanting people to make some choice before they take exams..
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

By emergency I meant children falling sick on exam date and if Kent has some alternate arrangement for these children, then perhaps OP and like could have their test taken on such date.

Schools need to have some flexibility in case of date clashes, as most schools would be testing in September/early October. Date clashes are inevitable.

Hope OP is not being sent to some far away centre, instead of their nearer ones.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

The OP has tried this already and KCC are not allowing it:
I have raised the clash by phone with Kent today and queried whether my DC could sit with the children that are sick on the day, as we have a valid reason for non-attendance which we can get proof of. They are quite clear that this will not be acceptable
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Exactly. and shows inflexibile attitude even in cases of genuine problems.

Perhaps if mods move this thread to Kent region, some one may offer some solution.
surreymummy

Post by surreymummy »

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

As I don't think Kent are going to budge on this, I am awaiting a reply from the Sutton grammar school to see whether they will allow DC to sit on a different date.

If anyone is in the same situation and manages to get agreement to change one of the dates, I would really appreciate you letting me know. Thanks.