how does allocation work - Wallington

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mommyg

how does allocation work - Wallington

Post by mommyg »

Hi all,
Just thought I would start this as a separate thread..
Wallington has passed only around 450 children. There are 510-530 grammar seats in the area and ofcourse independents too. Isn't there a good chance that of the 120 seats in Wallington, not all places are filled with the 450 that passed? What happens to the remaining ones? How are they allocated?
cakemummy

Re: how does allocation work - Wallington

Post by cakemummy »

Hi mommyg - those who have passed the entrance exam and are not offered a place come the 1st of March will be placed on a waiting list in rank order. If your DS does not get an offer on the 1st March then he could still get in via the waiting list depending on his rank and the number of children who do not take up the offered place.
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

400 - 500 is the 'normal' number to pass Wallington and every year they manage to fill all spaces and still have a waiting list of boys who have passed but not with a high enough mark.

In theory of course, all 450 boys could snub them and go elsewhere in which case they'd be in real trouble since they simply aren’t allowed to offer places to children who were deemed to have failed the test. Passing the test is an absolute prerequisite to entry to the school.
If for any reason, a few places remained unfilled, grammar schools are the only category of school that are allowed to keep these spaces empty. There is provision made for this in the Admissions Code which states that, if they are unable to fill all places with children of a selective ability, they can stay below PAN (published admission number). Those spaces however must be filled as and when new children move into the area, pass the test and request a place. They can’t keep them empty if children who have passed their test request a place there.

They must know what they're doing though as it hasn't happened yet!
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

It is true that there are in theory 510 places BUT the assumption that all applicants have sat all schools is incorrect. From our neck of the woods I don't know anybody who has sat Tiffin, it's just too tricky to get to. Many also don't sit Wilsons either. It's not impossible to get to, but it is a problem. I know one locally who sat it.

From experience and talking to friends from the time when WCGS and SGS did give some indication of Rank order I believe that both schools needed to go down to somewhere around the 300 - 330 place mark (rank order) to fill their places in the end.

Last year Wilsons only passed a relatively small number, and I did wonder if they might have cut it a bit fine, but they didn't. If the schools have 450 pass I reckon they have quite a few spare.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now