Tiffin School, Wilson School and Sutton Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
London_Dad

Tiffin School, Wilson School and Sutton Grammar

Post by London_Dad »

I am blessed with a DS who did very well in 11 plus exams without any tutoring except my guidance over the last 6-7 months.

He has scored enough to get into Kingston and Sutton grammar schools (don't know abut Wilson yet). I live in London and will move near to my DS school so have no specific choice about an area. I am really confused which one to put as the first preference school as we are at odds (my DS, me and my wife) about our first preference. It is an interesting problem to have and I am lucky that my DS did so well in exams. I will be very grateful if forum members who know about these schools kindly shed some lights.

My personal preference is

Wilson
Tiffin
SGS
ThreeKids

Re: Tiffin School, Wilson School and Sutton Grammar

Post by ThreeKids »

I don't know much about these schools, have a DS at WCGS but currently in the process with DS2. Now clearly logistically for DS2 WCGS would have been the preference however he didn't like it, and seeing it through his eyes I could see why. DS1 on the other hand was clearly much much better suited to WCGS than any of the others, and I would not for a second change that decision.

What I am trying to say is that you need to chose the school at which he will be happiest. I personally would not over rule his decision. It makes no real odds to you, but he will spend 7 years there day in day out. They are all great schools, but just like house hunting some places just feel like home and others just don't. You may be able to go and see the schools again, though time is very very tight for that. Good luck with your decision making.
London_Dad

Post by London_Dad »

Thanks threekids for your post. I fully understand your point and we may have to go with the choice of my DS. He didn't dislike any of these schools but somehow felt SGS is the right place for him as he was quite moved by the headteacher's speech.

On the other hand, Wilson appeared as a much better school to me. As we are not from the area, I thought it would be wise to gather some information before making a decision. My DS also wants to know more about Wilson and why I am preferring it over SGS. We have discussed about it between ourselves but could not establish a clear choice as we do not know anyone who have gone to any of these schools. A bit more information about these schools from parents would definitely help. Thanks
London_Dad

Post by London_Dad »

Now my DS has passed Wilson which is my first choice. Could anyone please comment? He is not very sporty type. Does it make any difference?
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

One thing to bear in mind is that you may not in reality have a choice. If your son has passed some just, but excelled at others it is likely that he will only be within the range required to be offered a place at the one school he excelled at. I am not saying that is the case, and certainly know of boys who excelled at all test they did and therefore did have a choice, but for the majority there is in fact less choice than you would think. The other factor is that boys tend to pull it out of the bag just that little bit more at the schools they really want to go for, and there is a sense of defeat at not getting your first choice even if you do get a selective.

You will struggle to get any comparative views on these schools because most people do not have boys at more than one selective so they cannot make the comparative judgements that you are hoping for. The reality is that the schools are different in personality, but they are all very good schools. A bright child will thrive at any one of them, but may well be happier at one rather than another. This is not something you are going to know for about another 6+ years, and even then you are not really going to know unless they switch schools and have something to compare to.
abr

Post by abr »

Threekids is right on the money. But I have heard that recently there have been massive staff attrition at Wilsons in the science department, although this was mainly in biology and chemistry.

I am not at all suggesting that this will have an impact 4-5 years hence ( during GCSE time for our DS's entering in 2013), by which team a new team of teachers would have had enough time to rebuild. But strictly on this basis, WCGS/SGS are better options within the borough in my view.

End of the day, it depends on what your DS likes and is comfortable with as a school he has to go to for the next 7 years
Last edited by abr on Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
London_Dad

Post by London_Dad »

Thanks threekids and abr for your observations. Very helpful.
mommyg

Post by mommyg »

My friend sends her son to Wilson, and says she couldnt be happier. Her DS cleared all as well... for some reason, Wilson seems to be the one in demand ! Excellent results and kids being happy perhaps ! London_Dad, you are in an enviable position :) Good luck and well done.
London_Dad

Post by London_Dad »

mommyg wrote:My friend sends her son to Wilson, and says she couldnt be happier. Her DS cleared all as well... for some reason, Wilson seems to be the one in demand ! Excellent results and kids being happy perhaps ! London_Dad, you are in an enviable position :) Good luck and well done.
Thanks mommyg. Glad to know about someone who goes to Wilsons and is happy with the school.

Wilsons increasingly looks like the first choice on CAF for my DS. Hopefully he has scored enough to secure an offer.
London_Dad

Post by London_Dad »

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Managed to convince my DS and we are putting Wilsons first on CAF.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now