The Glyn School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sgsgirl

The Glyn School

Post by sgsgirl »

Hi everyone!
Was wondering if anyone knows how far you can live from The Glyn School to be in with a chance of getting in? I know they have some details on the last distance allocated in previous years. We are about 4 miles or so away but only a 20-25 minute drive away. With the final hours til CAFs need to be in, I'm having a last minute rethink!!!
hermanmunster

Re: The Glyn School

Post by hermanmunster »

Doesn't look great sgsgirl :( :(
he last places allocated on distance for the past 5 years of entry are listed below:
July 2008 – 2.028 miles
July 2009 – 1.748 miles
July 2010 – 1.32 miles
July 2011 – 1.617 miles
July 2012 – 1.642 miles
sgsgirl

Post by sgsgirl »

I thought so too, they have removed the entrance test they used to have a few years ago as well.
sgsgirl

Post by sgsgirl »

So I think they run a catchment area...wish more local grammar schools would do the same! :roll:
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

Glyn don't have a catchment. It is like any other comp: after exceptional circumstances, they give every sibling who wants a place priority and then allocate all remaining places to boys without siblings starting with those who live closest to the school and stopping once all the places are gone.

The distances shown are the last distance offered i.e. the furthest away from the school you could live in previous years and get a place before all the spaces were taken. Most schools do it this way except in areas that have totally rigid catchment areas (and except Grammar Schools).
For popular schools the last distance offered can be depressingly small. Glyn is boys only which halves their potential number of applicants but at popular mixed schools, the last distance offered can be measured in metres not miles!