Are all the heads as dedicated as this?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
999 mum

Are all the heads as dedicated as this?

Post by 999 mum »

"... In practice, this is not a common situation. Gordon Ironside, head of Sutton Grammar told Families, “I could probably name one or two where I am anxious about how the boy got through the test. But that rarely happens.”
He reads every essay personally and said that some boys will have learned stock phrases to describe a sunset or a flower, for example. When these beautifully-crafted, highly descriptive phrases are used, they stand out from the rest of the writing and so the child does not get the credit that they might otherwise have done from their use of language...."

from http://www.familiesonline.co.uk/LOCATIO ... KQLX7roZBk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suppose this answers one question of how consistent the marking is. I always wondered if different teachers would give different marks for the same essay.
tiffinboys

Re: Are all the heads as dedicated as this?

Post by tiffinboys »

He is also a clever statistician and knows clever use of banding to reduce number of possible appeals. The disguised technique was caught out by School Adjudicators and this year's deliberately late published Determined Admission Arrangements have a bit of mention of use of banding.

On the other hand, yes, he does come out to be a passionate head with a very hands-on approach.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
cakemummy

Post by cakemummy »

The following thread on another forum did surprise me in particular as he was the only head who would not accomodate.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/secondary/a ... mar-School" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Probably worried about effect on rankings. :oops:
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.