Tiffin boys and Sutton Grammar results update 2006

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SB

Tiffin boys and Sutton Grammar results update 2006

Post by SB »

Some info from this year's results:

Sutton grammar: 783 children took the test for the 120 places. Cutt-off score is 326.

Tiffin boys: The cutt-off score is 226.

SB
Alex

Post by Alex »

Thanks SB-was beginning to think there was no-one out there!

Sorry to be thick, but how come Sutton cut-off is 326, and Tiffin is 226? Presumably they're worked out differently?

Post by Guest »

The exam formats are different in these two schools. Tiffin do Non verbal and verbal reasoning based on NFER where as Sutton Grammar do their own Maths and English tests plus NFER format reasoning test.

I have posted the Tiffin test details in another post 'Tiffin Boys 2005 NVR test format' under the 'Surrey (LB Sutton and LB Kingston' sub-forum.

SB
Alex

Post by Alex »

Thanks. It's all a bit confusing at first but am slowly getting my head round it.
Did your son sit the 11-plus this year? If so, hope you and he got the school you wanted.

Alex

Post by Guest »

Alex, it is not that difficult as you might think to get around all the bits and bolts of 11+. If you spend some quality time with this web site your would get a good understanding. Once you identified the possible schools and their exam format then you can focus on those aspects.

Regarding my son's result - yes we all pleased that he has been successful in getting a place at Tiffin. So well done to him because he had to put up with me (a lot!) during our 3 months of intensive preparation.

SB

Post by Guest »

Hi to all
Well done to SB's son. My daughter missed Tiffin girls by 3 marks she scored 231, and cut off is 234. It is devastating, but life goes on. I find it very strange as she managed an academic scholarship in an independent school.The school will only pay 20% of the fees. I do not think we will be able to afford it. She is on the waiting list, and we have been informed the cut off might come down to 230 taking previous years in consideration. Just wait and hope I guess.

Joe
Alex

Post by Alex »

SB- Well done to your son (and you). You must be delighted.

Joe- Really sorry to hear your daughter missed by such a small margin. I have heard that the Tiffin schools are incredibly difficult to get into and the fact that she won a scholarship to an independent only bears that out. I do hope she still gets in.

Another stupid question for you both. I know that Tiffin schools use VR and NVR papers set by NFER. As I understand it there are 80 questions on 1 paper and 85 on the second. I've been reading up about standardisation etc (I am trying!) but would still really appreciate it if you could tell me what the cut-off scores equate to, roughly, in terms of raw scores. I assume for Tiffin they need to be scoring 90% plus?

Also, I note from the Bucks section that there can be different formats even within NFER, e.g they include types H,I,K,N,O,S where other counties don't. Do you know if the Tiffin papers do?

Thanks in advance. I know you must both be heartily sick of the whole thing

Alex
Thea

Post by Thea »

SB - congratulations! I'm so pleased as I recall you did the tutoring yourself - encouraging to know that it can be done! Do you know how many applicants there were for Tiffin Boys? Also did you know our son's score in advance , or only when the offer was made? It seems that in other parts of the country people nmow the score in advance of allocation.
Well Done!!!
Best Regards,
Thea

Post by Guest »

Thanks everyone.

Yes Thea I did the coaching myself and started only in late August05. That's why I was very anxious and now emotionaly satisfied.

We came to know the score from this morning's post. The Surrey CC and the LEA had clearly stated that the results will be send out on the 1st of March. So they did!

I am not sure of how many boys did the test at Tiffin. To be honest I haven't even seen the offer letter from Tiffin and the one from the cc/LEA. I am at work and the information was passed onto me.

SB
Alex

Post by Alex »

SB Sorry to be a pain, but don't suppose you know the answer to my NFER format (H,I,K,N,O,S) question? Am worried that you'll disappear from the forum now that your son has done so well, and all your expertise will go with you!