Any advice from Tiffin parents?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Alex

Any advice from Tiffin parents?

Post by Alex »

Hi

I have started a new thread as this question was buried in the 'Tiffin Tutors' thread I started.
Elsewhere on this site there are some brilliant tips from parents (and tutors) who have been through/are going through the selection process for particular schools or counties. There's really not much info on the Tiffin schools though and I'm sure there are loads of parents who, like me, would really appreciate any tips, advice or knowledge you could pass on.
Anybody out there willing to help and share your experience?

Thanks

Alex
Willow

Tiffin Girls 'experience'

Post by Willow »

Heard today my daughter did not get into Tiffin, she got 225 and the current cutoff is 234 (likely to lower to 230 according to school). We're a little disappointed but as anyone who looks into getting their daughter into Tiffin must know - it is INCREDIBLY hard.

My daughter is one of the top three in her class (all evenly matched), scored 5's in her SAT testing at the end of year 5 and to top it off I found out today that she scored 100% in both Year 6 Wandsworth Tests (verbal and non-verbal reasoning). We practised NFER tests for 3 months and she was very comfortable with the questions, getting around 95% in the end .. BUT - Tiffin tests are harder!!!

Tiffin is the only selective in the area and as such it attracts the cream on top of the cream - you only have to go to the Parent's Evening to see that. Maybe on a different day my daughter could have squeezed a few extra points but I have to say I am as proud as punch she achieved what she did.

She has been given a selective place at an 'ordinary' foundation school which has provision for talented and gifted children and we are pleased. This way she will start off being one of the top 5% in her year and hope that this will boost her confidence and ensure that she reaches her full potential when she finally leave.

We all want the best for our children, sometimes try as we might, we don't get what we think is the best but it isn't the end of the world - life goes on!! I wish you all the very best of luck - whether for this intake or the next.
Thea

Post by Thea »

Willow, forgive my ignorance, what is a selective place at a foundation school? I anticipate being in your position next year, so woul be interested to hear that such a school exists
best Regards,
Best Regards,
Thea
Jess

Post by Jess »

Hi Thea,

I THINK this means a place at one of the schools that selects a small proportion of its intake (say 15%) on academic ability (Burntwood School for girls and Graveney in Wandsworth and Lady Margaret in Parson's Green would be examples of this). Other places are allocated on the usual non-selective criteria.

Jess
Nou

Tiffin Girls tests

Post by Nou »

I too am thinking of Tiffin as a possible school for my daughter. There is some general information about the test on the Kingston Council website (PDF Secondary School booklet) and on this forum. I am surprised that Tiffin just select on the basis of NVR/VR where Henrietta Barnett for example use that as a screening test and there are further tests in maths and English for the highest scoring applicants.

As an adult, I have applied successfully for two promotions at work which used VR/NVR to screen out most applicants. The first time I took the test I failed because I had never seen a test like that before. I spent a lot of time researching possible question types and for the non verbal, practising the maths necessary. I think for kids as well the secret is to be familiar with the questions and to practise and practise.

I wouldn't be too worried about tips etc from other parents, and I also think some people are so desperate they deliberately try to psych out others. My daughter attends an independent school where they (allegedly) prepare pupils for the Common Entrance exam. She is very good at English but her level of maths seems to be behind state schools. At the moment we are concentrating on maths basics and have started looking at paper formats and question types for VR/NVR.

Also wondered what other parents think acceptable travel times are? Most of the schools I am thinking of are over 45 minutes away.
Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell »

I think 30 mins travel time by public transport is acceptable. But then we have HBS and St Michael's Grammar School on our doorstep.

What would we do otherwise? Probably move, drive the children to school or send them to a distant school where I knew they were happy and getting a decent education.
Nou

Post by Nou »

We live quite far from both Henrietta Barnett and Tiffin both about 1.15 mins on public transport or 30-45 mins by car which we don't currently own. I think we are mad to consider them but have little option. There are only catholic schools or a massive comprehensive in the Borough where I live. We will apply for Lady Margaret about 3 miles away, although again we don't go to church and live about 45 mins by bus (no hope really), and for one of the language places at Greycoat Hospital - again 45 mins by bus. No other option other than two failed/failing sink schools or a massive comprehensive with a yearly intake of 250, where the kids smoke illegal substances at the bus stop! Can't afford private secondary schools - we walk around with holes in our shoes because we can't really afford a private primary school - my daughter had to leave the state sector due to bullying. She is clever and has a reasonable chance of getting a good mark in the eleven plus.
Jess

Post by Jess »

I agree that competition is so intense that a bit of 'psyching out' goes on, but it would still be useful to get more information from other parents re question types etc. If you compare this section of the forum with say, Bucks, there is very little detailed info on what to expect in the tests. Unless I've misread it, the info from Kingston is very sparse in this regard.

SB, whose son has just won a place at Tiffin, promised to post re question types etc but seems to have disappeared!

Given that competition for places is so stiff, it would be great to help the children to be as well prepared as possible. You can bet your life that those who are being tutored will be.

Post by Guest »

Hi to all,
Tutoring is good only if your child is up to the standard, If your children are not up to standard in Maths and English then think again. You might get them into the school, but believe me they will struggle and might even drop out. This scenario happens every year. A lot of parents pay a lot of money tutoring their kids just to get into the school to realize at the end it is wasted time. So please do not put your kids through all this pain if they are not up to the standard.

Rgds
Jess

Post by Jess »

I completely agree. The problem is that, even if your child is very bright and would thrive in such a school, they will still be up against those who have been intensively tutored to pass the test. Hence the need to have as much info as possible.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now