Were late tests necessary and 'Required'?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tabasco

Re: Were late tests necessary and 'Required'?

Post by tabasco »

SlummyMummy wrote:It is the catchment based selective schools that should really be changing, not TGS and HBS who have got it right.
I agree.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I agree too, but until all grammars, specially the near ones which put tremendous pressure on Tiffins, become open selective, Tiffins should have catchment or proximity plicies... to give level playing field to children living in Kingston and surrounding area.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

tiffinboys wrote:I agree too, but until all grammars, specially the near ones which put tremendous pressure on Tiffins, become open selective, Tiffins should have catchment or proximity plicies... to given level playing field to children living in Kingston and surrounding area.
I don't follow how nearby grammar schools can be said to put pressure on Tiffin. Surely they relieve it, by providing somewhere to go other than Kingston?

If you are talking about Langley, then it is not that close to Tiffin, 15 miles, and nearly all the people that live say 1 mile from Langley would choose Langley over Tiffin, because ultimately both schools have similar resources and educational outcomes/expectations.

I can imagine that perhaps there are a number of people in Slough who are looking out for grammar schools, whereas people in Dorking wouldn't be, so you end up with a lot of the Slough set applying to both, because it's a free test, whereas in Dorking, closer to Tiffin, most people settle for the local comp.

But it wouldn't be fair to insist people in the catchment for another grammar school apply to that one, because some of the catchments are absurdly large. I don't think a 'no people from Slough' policy would wash either....

Anyway, I would be surprised if there are really that many students from Slough at Tiffin, so I suspect it's a non-issue anyway.
SuttonParent71

Post by SuttonParent71 »

I think this thread is somewhat going off topic. Going back to the late tests - does anyone know numbers at Sutton Grammar School? If numbers are as high as are being mooted for Tiffin, and if Sutton School Admissions advice is backed legally - are tiffin aware of this and their vulnerability to appeals?
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

There didn't seem huge numbers at the Tiffin boys second test when I was there.

But lots of FUD here, so beware.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

twelveminus wrote:
tiffinboys wrote:I agree too, but until all grammars, specially the near ones which put tremendous pressure on Tiffins, become open selective, Tiffins should have catchment or proximity plicies... to given level playing field to children living in Kingston and surrounding area.
I don't follow how nearby grammar schools can be said to put pressure on Tiffin. Surely they relieve it, by providing somewhere to go other than Kingston?
I think if you read my post in context you would understand how catchment policy of nearby Grammar (yes, to the west Langley is the nearest to Tiffins and to the east, the 2 Sutton girls grammars have 50-55% places of narrow catchment of 5.25 to 6.7 km) put pressure on Tiffins.

Langley catchment is not just Slough.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

twelveminus wrote:But lots of FUD here, so beware.
For those who were not aware of this acronym, as I was not, FUD = Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

That's the beauty of this forum. One keeps learning. Certainly, I didn't know this either.