Tiffin Girls catchment area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiffinboys

Re: Tiffin Girls catchment area

Post by tiffinboys »

@2outof3

I think I quite understand the methodology. Post codes have not been deliberately omitted, rather strangely some post codes seems to have been added on such as UB1, KT19, some TWs and Ws.

I also have seen Tiffins admission data for 2012 intake, obtained earlier. I would say that TGS catchment would not have any effect on Nonsuch admissions as just 4 girls from SM1 to SM3 postcodes were coming to TGS in the first place. Other postcodes to the west of NS are in TGS catchment.

@TG

Most of the Asian children to TGS comes from KT, TW and W5 and surrounding post codes and all of these are included in the proposed catchment. So it should have no effect on these children. In fact, the proposed catchment would have no beneficial effect what so ever on the local intake. Only this would restrict applicants from really far off areas, Slough for example. I do feel that area between Slough and West London was quite warming up to Tiffins in the wake of changes to Kendrick and Reading admission policies. My theory, which I will test through FOI in due time, is that most of the applicants at late tests were from very very distant areas.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

...and if they used straight line distance in a radius from the centre of the school, they'd possibly have to accept overlap with some Nonsuch areas in order to still include the further flung parts of London they seem keen to hold on to. Nonsuch to Tiffins is about 8 miles as the crow flies.

Some of the postcode decisions are sensible but others seem very odd both in terms of included and excluded postcodes. The explanation that they are based on the current addresses of pupils at the school doesn't seem to be a particularly convincing one either when very easy journeys have been discounted and it will raise questions about why some more obvious areas have been left out. I am in favour of a priority area but would prefer one with ‘rules’ whether that be a straight distance criteria or the selection of postcodes following logical and consistent criteria eg all on viable bus and train routes.
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

TiffinGirls wrote:twelveminus, I do feel uncomfortable with the proposal and I think they are trying to cut costs on admission tests and stifle local opposition by pretending they have given in. The stuff about the girls travelling too far is a load of **** as they have included post codes which are an hour away via 65 bus. I think the formula based on the girls in the school at the moment is rather a silly basis for an admissions policy and seems to blur issues rather than confront them.

This hasn't been thought through - I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out that Acton (W3) wasn't included, which is just a few minutes from Richmond on the overground. Perhaps they have gone for the 65 bus route post codes in the borough of Ealing.

I also wondered if they are trying to discourage south Asian applicants of which numbers have increased (along with everyone else apparently in recent years).
If they were trying to discourage South Asian applicants, why would they include Southall, which has the largest proportion of South Asian residents outside of, er, South Asia?

The 65 starts at Ealing Broadway station, which is W5, passes through the edge of TW8, along TW9/TW7, TW10, then into KT2.

I had a look at W13, I used to live in W13 0, which is a long way from the 65 bus route. I see that there are parts of W13 9 which are a walk from the 65 route, so it's not that bad.

UB1 and UB2 however are just crazy.

Have a look at this map:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:W_pos ... ea_map.svg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From W5 (directly north of TGS) they head west through W13, W7 to reach UB1 and UB1, but to the east of W5 they include nothing.
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

Almost seems like they are putting out there something on which they can hang their hat (Girls at the school come from these locations without apparent difficulty) but anticipating resistance, opposition and query which will have to be investigated thus delaying implementation - possibly indefinitely.
SlummyMummy

Post by SlummyMummy »

Controversial, but excluding SE Asian children would be like committing league table suicide for TGS. Hence the catchment extends to UB and W postcodes. Just surprised they haven't gone all the way to HA postcodes as well! They seem to have knocked 2 birds in one throw, appeased all the parents that were lobbying for catchment, but keeping the catchment large enough to still get all their usual applicants in.
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

If Tiffin is motivated partly by money (the desire not to have to test upwards of 2000 pupils anytime soon) and parents have got their own way on the principle of a catchment area, then the details could be tweaked in future or after consultation. The notion of a catchment policy was the main obstacle and hopefully that now has been overcome.

Whilst it may cover a wide area, at least Tiffins will cease to provide an option to all those in the Southern half of England who don't have grammar schools or whose nearest grammars have themselves implemented a catchment priority (worries over the Reading changes driving even more to apply in Kingston).
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

The rationale has been written quite well and in details. But that where the good part of the proposal ends.

The proposed post code selection has created a number of anamolies. Some post codes as far away as 11km have been included, some even in 9 km radius have been left out. TGS would need to sit and rework this aspect so that their policy does not sound like an arbitrary selection of post codes.
TiffinGirls

Post by TiffinGirls »

I tend to agree with Slummy Mummy and think that TGS have played another blinder.

I am surprised that W3 and W6 for example are not included, as I have seen TGS girls in uniform in both those areas (perhaps passing through?) and also at Clapham Junction, but perhaps parents in those areas have better comps or church schools to choose from and don't bother and it is just the odd one or two.
TiffinGirls

Post by TiffinGirls »

Has anybody actually seen a list of postcode areas which are currently represented in the school and how many girls come from each?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Yes and it is a long list.