Crazy! Tiffin Admission 2014!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JaysDarlin

Crazy! Tiffin Admission 2014!!

Post by JaysDarlin »

Okay folks, think me not crazy. My son has just gone into Year 4, he is my ds3. My other two sons are at Tiffin, and those who know me on this site should know by know that I am prone to panicking and forgetting dates.

So. I am going to start another year early! Last year I started at the beginning of year 5. This time, Im starting in year 4, to avoid repetitions of previous disasters.

I dont want to alarm anyone, we wont be touching any papers. But we will be doing all our ground work.

So, thinking and typing out loud, here's a rough timetable we will be following. This has been taken from a previous post (http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 0&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) it's what I did with ds2.

Weekly Plan:

Mon-Fri

1) Category Cards = 3 (I have made picture category cards for every category imaginable, (vehicles, birds, cats, cooking utensils, tools, musical instruments, etc) and for example, the 'Tree' card has pictures of all the types of trees we have ever come across) and we use these games to play memory games.
2) First Aid Pages = 2
3) Writing, once a week
4) Reading to mum (electronic dictionary at hand, ruler to underline unknown words and pen to write definition in the margin, plus notepad to make a list of words for new flashcards)
5) Bonds Maths papers

Weekend:

1) Flash Cards = 14 new cards and testing previous cards
2) Times Tables, once a week (15 minute drill)
3) Mental Arithmetic once a week.(15 minute drill)
4) Reading to mum

(If anyone would like the flash cards or worksheets I have prepared, please visit http://www.scribd.com/Inspirity

I am planning to do a session a day, and two sessions on Weekends, which will include any homework from school. I think if I do this for the whole year, it will give him a good base for year 5.

Anyone else around? Who knows if there will even be an 11+ for Tiffin in 2014!

:lol:
Last edited by JaysDarlin on Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
svg123

Re: CRAZY! Tiffin Admission 2014!!

Post by svg123 »

Well done Sara.
My son is writing Tiffin exam this Nov. Can you pls provide some last minute tips.
Thanks.
ninja11

Post by ninja11 »

Hi JaysDarlin,
Just wanted to say that I have read your previous posts and I am really impressed with your detailed planning. Well done
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

Ah help (!) My DS has just started year 5 and we're just getting going on preparation and reading your timetable Jaysdarlin has made me start to panic :shock: . And this is my third time round as well!

The problem is my DDs only had to do VR, NVR and maths and a year seemed more than enough time to prepare for those (in fact they didn't start until the January, so we had two terms plus summer hols). I actually want DS to try for atleast one of the sutton schools (Wilsons probably too far away) which means we have to do English comp and writing as well.

I think my main panic stems from the fact that I have no idea of the standard of writing/comprehension that would be required to get in. Writing is so subjective, so it's very difficult to know how he's doing. I'm just working my way through Scholfied and Simms comprehension and Haydn Richards to start with, but I'm struggling to gauge progress. And all the time spent on that means much less time on maths, and all the other vocab etc

Anyone got any tips :D
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

Welcome back jays darlin. I remember you from two years ago when preparing my DD for Tiffin and she is now there. DS is doing the test in Nov and as you have two boys there I thought you may be able to answer a couple of queries ? Which VR and NVR books did you find most useful to do in the weeks leading up to the test and what sort of NVR/VR scores was your most recent Tiffin success scoring in the months leading up to the test. I only have a girl to compare his scores with and think that may not be the fairest way of judging ? (but I may be wrong !!)

Many thanks
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

Hi mynameisbond and JaysDarlin

I have a DD at TGS and now a boy in year 5 about to embark on the (pushing treacle up a hill) road ahead. (DS is a much more reluctant student than DD, homework takes forrreeevvveeerrr). Still we're trying for Tiffin boys and the local comp again, but always need good advice as the road's different with each child. So yes please - any tips, esp for encouraging bright reluctant scholars! Thank you.
suzanne

Re: Crazy! Tiffin Admission 2014!!

Post by suzanne »

This does sound rather OTT. I think it is important to keep a balance with these things, and your child may be tired of all this by year 6.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

My DS is just starting yr 5 and we aren't doing anything like that amount. Yet. We did a few Bond papers over the summer with varied degrees of success. Usually in 80s and 90s, across maths, English and NVR. Not even started VR yet. Bit scared of it!

I really like the variety of your plan. It looks daunting but I bet it isn't once you get into the rhythm of it.

Our plan for yr 5 prep is this:
Mon-Fri 1/2 hour each night on
English comprehension
Maths
Times Tables
Grammar
VR/NVR

Saturday 1 hour - a paper plus revision of the questions he gets wrong.

Does that sound OK? Enough? Too little? I don't want burn out but am aware that there is SO much to do. Especially as the school has been pretty lax on the basics.
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

hi guys just read your plans on what to do with the kids. my son has just started year 4 so should i start the same procedures as you guys or shall i wait until year 5, if so how should i introduce this as he has a short intention span that lasts about 10 min!
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

jaysdarling what a great rota! the flash cards would be a great help to me as my ds loves games. where or how do you make these can you send me some info about how to start of my ds, he has also started year 4 in bucks, and i think i should make a start on his vr practice as i left it late with my ds1. i started with ds1 6 months ago and he has only 3 weeks to go!