Tiffin Boys - 2013 admissions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ASDDAD

Re: Tiffin Boys - 2013 admissions

Post by ASDDAD »

harrow_101 wrote:
twelveminus wrote:
harrow_101 wrote:2. Obviously am proud of son to be the one, but also frustrated, as he was not tutored, so has not gained qualifying mark in some, but has in others, so unfortunately, tutoring can also be seen as essential to avoid risk. For ds2 (in yr5), I won't chance it!
Hmm, this seems unlikely. Not that your son would pass, but that there is only one boy who passed, and he is on this board.

I suspect there is an error somewhere in that one out of 127 figure.

But as was mentioned previously they may have only offered one place out of 127 but that doesn't mean that only one passed. As suggested in previous posts, some may have been using test as a final mock for independents etc. The most probable though is that some of these did not put Tiffins as their number one choice, hence if they got offered a higher preference school they would not get an offer for Tiffins, even if they passed. So in some respect I think the way it is worded is to deflect some of the Criticism that Tiffins received over the late tests and therefore avoid the additional flurry of appeals based on this, that hey are expecting. Obviously this is just my opinion :D
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

ASDDAD wrote:
harrow_101 wrote:
twelveminus wrote:
Hmm, this seems unlikely. Not that your son would pass, but that there is only one boy who passed, and he is on this board.

I suspect there is an error somewhere in that one out of 127 figure.

But as was mentioned previously they may have only offered one place out of 127 but that doesn't mean that only one passed. As suggested in previous posts, some may have been using test as a final mock for independents etc. The most probable though is that some of these did not put Tiffins as their number one choice, hence if they got offered a higher preference school they would not get an offer for Tiffins, even if they passed. So in some respect I think the way it is worded is to deflect some of the Criticism that Tiffins received over the late tests and therefore avoid the additional flurry of appeals based on this, that hey are expecting. Obviously this is just my opinion :D
No it specifically says that only one boy scored 231 or more from the late group. It doesn't say that he was offered a place.
ASDDAD

Post by ASDDAD »

Apologies twelveminus my bad, but I read this :-)
tiffinboys wrote:
1644 candidates took the test. Only 1 of the late sitters got the offer
tiffinboys wrote:
The figures circulating about the number of late sitters at Tiffin Boys were not right. I wish the school had published these figures at the time of test to put us at peace.
I couldn't agree more, all the hype and speculation over the scores being higher and many more sitting the test were obviously way off mark, if the figures released are to be believed.

Yesterday was meant to be an end to the wait and we had prepared ourselves for the fact he wouldn't get Tiffins. It now appears that he is so close to the cut off that its still a possibility, so more nail biting days ahead. Knowing our luck he will miss it by a point but at least we have SGS to fall back on which isn't a bad second choice and our DS is very happy to be going there, it's just the travelling!!
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

Official scores are here http://www.tiffinschool.co.uk/uploads/f ... er2013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ASDDAD

Post by ASDDAD »

twelveminus wrote:Official scores are here http://www.tiffinschool.co.uk/uploads/f ... er2013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I just re-read Tiffin's statement and agree with 12- that one applicant scored above 231. It is not clear whether he was offered place or not. However, from earlier posts here, Harrow101 mentioned his child getting 237 but putting another school as higher preference. So it may be that no one from late sitters got a place in initial allocation. I will edit my earlier post to reflect this correction.

We don't know how many of the late sitters are at score 230, 229 and below. If places become available, then some of the late sitters may still get places in Tiffin.
Golgo13

Post by Golgo13 »

Any movement on the waiting list? Parents with unwanted places should've rejected them by now. Nominal deadline was last Friday.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Could be a gulf between 'should have' and 'already done'. :wink:
And 'some' may still be waiting for or evaluating the offers from independent schools.

Hoping for the list to start moving this side of the Easter.
Golgo13

Post by Golgo13 »

Exactly.

Practically speaking, there is no deadline to reject a place.

But I expect there are a few who followed the suggestion.
ASDDAD

Post by ASDDAD »

I'm inclined to think that there may be some movement soon for those on 230 ( I'm guessing at least 7 will have already rejected places) I think those on 229 and 228 may have a longer wait. Good luck to all those still hoping for some good news :-)