Tiffins Entrance Test results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tiffinboys

Re: Tiffins Entrance Test results

Post by tiffinboys »

tabasco, that's a very reasoned view. Thank you. However, since no one knows how scores were scaled, there is lot of confusion and disbelief. Certainly, the standarization is not how nfer standarization is done. Many parents would like to know the methodology and would like to assess if the method was appropriate.

I agree wholeheartedly that each school would do its own assessment. But tests are to level 5 and standarized properly, many of the girls approaching level 5a or even 6, at the time of test (6 months before SATs) scoring very poorly, would indicate some problem. Parents in this situation would like to get more details. I wish TGS were to let parents know of their methodology soon. Where parents have serious doubts and schools are not forthcoming, appeals are one way to get to the bottom.

By the way, I had lightly mentioned about parents (about 300 of them) to prepare for appeal. I know, in many cases it won't be worthwhile, as I mentioned earlier.
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

Just had a look at the admission policy at TGS website. It clearly stated that the final mark will be weighted 30% stage 1 & 70% stage 2 and consists of maths, reading and writing. "The level of challenge of these tests will be appropriate for applicants anticipated to achieve Level 5 at the end of Year 6". We need to remember that even with level 5 there are 3 subdivision 5a, 5b & 5c if this has been appropriately assessed by the DD's school.

What even level TGS have set their test standard is not particularly important as the assessment between DDs are relative to all the 435 who sat the stage 2 test and not just to achive a certain mark. This cut of mark is obtained after standardisation of the raw scores. It could be any mark and not always 50% as the standardisation process is to get a mark for each DD and ranked them in order of merit from highest to the lowest. Since TGS is only admitting 150 DDs the initial cut off mark will be drawn at the 150 ranked mark. Of course this could end up with more than 150 places being offered on 01/03/2013 as there is always the possibility of more than 1DD having the same final mark.
Last edited by tabasco on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

I also don't think that the methodology TGS used for obtaining their standardised mark is important as long as it is a form of standardisation. My daughter's school also said that she is expected to be level 6 in both Engilsh and Maths at the end of year 6 but I don't take it for granted. If they have predicted to reach a certain level and didn't perform as expected in 11+, they should raise the question with their DD's school instead and not TGS. One might be the hot favourite doesn't mean he/she will win every single time.

One thing all the parents of all stage 2 tested DDs could be sure of is that their DD have been tested using the same test papers and standardisation method among the 435 who sat the test and I think that is fair.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Tabasco, agree with you that method should be the same for all the girls. There is no argument about stage 2 being 70% of the total score or the test being in English/Maths.

However, different ways of standardizing/scaling would give different results, even though the method would be the same for every one. Whether the papers were of level 5A and the standardizing were appropriate is something that many parents would want to know.

Anyway, it is for the effected parents to decide what to do now - not for me.
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

tiffinboys wrote:Tabasco, agree with you that method should be the same for all the girls.

However, different ways of standardizing would give different results, even though the method would be the same for every one. Whether the papers were of level 5A and the standardizing were appropriate is something that many parents would want to know.

Anyway, it is for the effected parents to decide what to do now - not for me.
The method used by TGS of the school is the same and there are not other factors such as school's report and interview which only applied to indies.

If there is no special circumstances which has affected a particular DD, their parents can't start to questioning the test level were sat and the way the test results were standardised when their DD didn't made the cut. That is just simply irrational.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

tabasco wrote:
If there is no special circumstances which has affected a particular DD, their parents can't start to questioning the test level were sat and the way the test results were standardised when their DD didn't made the cut. That is just simply irrational.
Tabasco, that's how you feel, may be not every one else. :wink:
SGSMumof2

Post by SGSMumof2 »

I worked out that in previous years about 40 people did not put Tiffin Girls down as their first preference (based on 238 as cut off mark for 1600 girls taking the test for 120 places which would equate to 160 people having achieved the cut off score). I am not statistician but for the pass mark to be 50 or just below does that mean you only had to be ranked 225 (i.e. half of 450 taking second stage) to get a place as 75 people did not put Tiffin down as first choice on CAF from after the first stage. From the results we've seen achieving 85% on VR and NVR provides only 13 out of 30 points - hence more of the cohort for the second test scored above 85% on the first stage. So you really had to demonstrate very strong capabilities against this cohort in Maths and English to gain a place. It would be great if Tiffins demonstrated how fair they have been here - and I have every belief that they have been. It seems their marking equates to ranking without stating you have been ranked 225 but have been offered a place as 75 people did not put us down as first choice. they should take a leaf out of Sutton Grammar School's book. You do not know your mark if offered a place - you only know it if you don't get a place.
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

tiffinboys wrote:
tabasco wrote:
Tabasco, that's how you feel, may be not every one else. :wink:
Hi tiffinboy,

This is not just how I feel, it is how a rational parents should feel. One want to go to a particular school doesn't means one should have the right to go to a particular school if they do not full filled the school entry requirement. Even by reaching a particular standard doesn't means that you will get in because there are more qualified candidates than available places. So this is all relative. :D
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I hope no school follow SGS in that respect. For years, they hided their method of banding.

What is to hide, if all has been done fairly. Those who want their score, apply under provisions of Data Protection Act.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

tabasco, may I suggest that you or I don't monopolize rationality. :roll:

Obviously, today, what is rational to me is not so to you. Tomorrow you may change your views. :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now