Tiffin Girls School: Relocation advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
twelveminus

Re: Tiffin Girls School: Relocation advice

Post by twelveminus »

If you lived near Ealing Broadway station, you could take the 65 bus to school or the Central Line to Liverpool Street station.

The connections from southwest London by train to Liverpool Street are very poor. You could be facing an overcrowded train everyday to Waterloo, then pushing and shoving people to get onto the Waterloo & City line (queues every day to get on the train, you won't get on the first one), then a fairly long walk from Bank or another change onto another overcrowded, delayed Central Line train to Liverpool Street.

Lots of people cycle the whole distance.

At least from Ealing Broadway you would be on at the first stop.
princessdad

Post by princessdad »

Thanks for the advice twelveminus. In fact my plan was to commute from Kingston==>Waterloo==>Bank==>Liverpool street. Based on what you are saying, looks like that is not the best option. However, Ealing Broadway to TGS is also expected to take close to an hour in Route 65, that too one way :?
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

princessdad wrote:Thanks for the advice twelveminus. In fact my plan was to commute from Kingston==>Waterloo==>Bank==>Liverpool street. Based on what you are saying, looks like that is not the best option. However, Ealing Broadway to TGS is also expected to take close to an hour in Route 65, that too one way :?
It is a difficult conundrum to be honest.

I don't think there is an easy answer. The 65 runs a long route through bad traffic (all traffic in London is bad :lol:), and delays can be painful.

However equally I do not think you will find the commute from Kingston to Liverpool Street pleasant, with slow trains, rush hour overcrowding, and several changes to make.

You can monitor performance of the 65 bus online.

http://countdown.tfl.gov.uk/#|stopCode=50429" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://countdown.tfl.gov.uk/#|stopCode=77360" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At least with the 65 bus it's direct with no changes.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

princessdad wrote:Thanks for the advice twelveminus. In fact my plan was to commute from Kingston==>Waterloo==>Bank==>Liverpool street. Based on what you are saying, looks like that is not the best option. However, Ealing Broadway to TGS is also expected to take close to an hour in Route 65, that too one way :?
The 65 can be a slow bus and sometimes takes more than an hour if Richmond is congested.
Not an easy decision, the train Kingston-Waterloo-Bank (possibly walk down Old Broad Street) is not too bad, apart from the 07:33 and 08:03 trains (which come from Shepperton) seats are available from Kingston, but not always further up the line (and there are extra trains about 7 minutes before these to Waterloo with loads of seats). In fact your commute will get easier as couple of weeks ago planning permission was given to build a platform extension at Kingston for longer trains so trains will become 10-car instead of 8 which will ease crowding.

One other consideration might be if you are relocating, your daughter might not know any friends in the area, if you go well away from TGS it might be harder for her to find a friend who lives nearby.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

My daughter is currently in Yr7 Tgs and has been using the train form Kingston Station(£12.45 for a week of transport) and it is very quick and easy. However getting the bus(65/671) can be a struggle as many of the girls get these buses. So it is a good idea to walk down to other bus stops. Hope this helps a little bit
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I think pricessdad has many good suggestions already. I will only add that if you find a place as close to TGS and some train station, it would help both of you.

I often travel to Bank. In my experience, the fastest way is still, even in morning rush, is train to Waterloo and then train to Bank. For Liverpool Street, change to Central line or even a brisk walk is feasible, weather permitting.

An alternative route, if may suggest for Liverpool Street. Train to Clapham Junction, then train to Sheppard Bush (London Overground) and then Central Line to Liverpool St.

Keeping above in mind, if North Kingston/Norbiton is feasible, that would be the best. Otherwise, Surbiton or New Malden are good for commuting. There are fast trains from Surbiton to Waterloo. From New Malden, there are 6 to 8 trains per hour to Waterloo.
dlb

Post by dlb »

Not forgetting Esher, Walton-on-Thames, Cobham - buses to Kingston. Fast trains into Waterloo.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
princessdad

Post by princessdad »

Thanks everyone for the useful suggestions and invaluable tips. It would have definitely taken me time to figure these out myself and in that process I might have made some wrong decisions as well.

So...a massive thanks to all of you :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now