remark of Tiffin papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ClappedOutMum

Re: remark of Tiffin papers

Post by ClappedOutMum »

zeinab wrote:If you were to appeal then it would be better to focus on evidence showing your son is of high academic ability at his present school. If your son is predicated high levels in SAT's then that is a good source of positive evidence.
I found this curious. Can you really appeal on the basis that the DC is extremely high ability but then just failed to reflect that in the test (due to an off-day, or due to not having been tutored by Mrs W, or whatever)? [Sounds as if one need not bother then with any preparation, just appeal later and prove how bright the kid is anyway. :D ] Clearly, can't be as simple as that.

Has anyone ever succeeded on that basis for either of the Tiffins schools? What did they end up aducing as evidence?
Last edited by ClappedOutMum on Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

The overwhelming majority of appeals fail.
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

Brrrrr freeeezing outside :shock:

Hi Clapped. :)

We appealed using the evidence mentioned above, DS was predicated high levels in SAT's including level 6 in Maths as well as being talented in ICT, both of which GS specialized in. This with a mixture of other varied positive evidence & the invaluable help on this forum, helped win our case. We were informed later 2 appeals out of 31 were upheld.

Off now to pick up that same DS from rugby, probably all bruised & sporting another black eye or two. 8)
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

Great. I will concentrate on getting DS up to level 6 in Maths and forget the educationally useless VR and NVR tutoring/practice....

:lol:
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

Can you really appeal on the basis that the DC is extremely high ability but then just failed to reflect that in the test
Yes of course you can!
You can win on that basis too – people do each year for Tiffins and every other grammar school.

It isn't an alternative to 11+ preparation though as so few appeals are won. You need compelling evidence of exceptional academic ability, other reasons for believing the school is a good match for your child and the time and dedication taken to present all of this in writing and then to panel on the day. Appeals are held in the Summer long after allocations day so it isn't a route most people take lightly but it is open to anyone who feels that the 11+ mark was a genuine blip.
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

ClappedOutMum wrote:Great. I will concentrate on getting DS up to level 6 in Maths and forget the educationally useless VR and NVR tutoring/practice....

:lol:
That's my girl! xx
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

London_Mum wrote:
Can you really appeal on the basis that the DC is extremely high ability but then just failed to reflect that in the test
Yes of course you can!
You can win on that basis too – people do each year for Tiffins and every other grammar school.

It isn't an alternative to 11+ preparation though as so few appeals are won. You need compelling evidence of exceptional academic ability, other reasons for believing the school is a good match for your child and the time and dedication taken to present all of this in writing and then to panel on the day. Appeals are held in the Summer long after allocations day so it isn't a route most people take lightly but it is open to anyone who feels that the 11+ mark was a genuine blip.
2nd that L_M, especially the compelling evidence, examples of which are in the appeals section. We had a letter from DS's, school teacher who confirmed that his academic performance dipped (family member was gravely ill & confirmed by his surgeon who also added that without doubt family members would be affected & included DS's name on the letter that really nailed it), during the autumn term which is also when he took the exam.

This proved he wasn't just affected during the 11+ exam but at school only during the same period . His school records had clearly shown from early yrs that he achieved high levels even though he is late August born. Also wish to add, we only home tutored him for a wee while cos we didn't find any reputable tutors & with 3 others to look after myself with a job meant that I really had little time for him.. However he did pass & was about 12th on waiting list. That's when we (my eldest & I) decided to lodge an appeal, as we had nothing to lose. What also helped was my eldest is captain of debating & involved in schools mock trials around the UK, which helped immensely when planning our appeal.

Off to work now, au revoir :)
Last edited by zeinab on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

Thanks, all. I wasn't really being serious about adopting it as a strategy, although I do find it strange that appeals are allowed on that ground.

It is no secret (isn't it?) that the Tiffin tests do not really measure academic ability but more measures (given a particular base standard of "selective ability") how prepared the child is. [Witness how much worst the late test takers (with less preparation) did than those who did it first time round having prepared for it since conception.]

So there should be many, many, many DCs who do are of the correct standard but do not pass the test. A good proportion of them should therefore be able to show that compelling evidence. But they do not I suppose because most can't be bothered (it just adds to the stress / uncertainty for months on end). But even of those that can be bothered, why don't more get through. Surely all they need to show is that they are at least as bright as those that had the better test preparation?
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

Gathered you weren't being serious. :) But you're right when you say some don't have the time, can't be bothered or some may feel that it's a long stressful & unpredictable road to take.
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

Just like any things you do, if you are not prepared you are not going to performed well. The DC might be a genius but if he/she haven't done similar type of paper before they are just not going to do well under time restricted exam condition. In general an exam such as the 11+ is just s screening type of selective test as there are always to many suitable candidates for a limited amount of places. Unless there is an exceptional circumstances such sickness, family situation and disruption during the exam etc, below expectetion performance for the 11+ is very unlikely to lead to a successful appeal. For example if a susposably very able DC but always get 1) very nervous during exam and broke down 2) Speed of solving problem/questions are not quick enough, how is he/she going to cope when there are 12 subjects to do and under particularly competitive environment and pace of teaching at a GS? Unless the cause of this could be dealt with GS is probably not a right environment.

Human brains develope and grow from conception till the DC is about 8-9 year old. This is the period of time where lots of information and knowlegde could be easily absorbed and processed by the developing brain.

"+/- talent/gift + nuturing well = developed to full potential,

"Well nuturing/guidence + talent/gift = Brillant",

"talented/gifted without nuturing/guidence = wasted".

So even if you have a very bright DC but not prepared well, his/her talent/gift will definitely be wasted in this competitive world.