taxi coach share from harrow to tiffins girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
omismum

taxi coach share from harrow to tiffins girls

Post by omismum »

Hi there.. is anyone travelling from harrow to Tiffin girl's?my dd will start from September 13. I will be happy to share taxi/coach
U can pm me.
Thanks
tiffinboys

Re: taxi coach share from harrow to tiffins girls

Post by tiffinboys »

omismum wrote:Hi there.. is anyone travelling from harrow to Tiffin girl's?
I hope that you find some suitable arrangements soon, omismum.

It was one such post which got me into campaigning for distance policy for Tiffins.
vasu

Post by vasu »

Tiffins is too far from Harrow. :shock: I don't think there is any taxi service for Tiffin Girls. If there is then it is a bit shocking.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

I really do not know how your DD is going to manage this journey. It seems crazy to me unless you move house. There will be times when you will need to travel to DD's school with PE kit, to pick up after matches, plays, music, fencing, whatever. I am glad to live close enough to my daughter's school for this not to be an inconvenience for us.

Was there no school closer to Harrow that would have been suitable? You were trying for NLCS, Northwood College and others in your area, I see. North west London has some really good schools, especially if you wanted to go via the indie route. 12+, maybe?

But I wish you luck in trying to find a way through. It will be expensive, no matter what you decide, and you are probably looking at a 2 hour journey each way, especially during rush hour.
la boume

Post by la boume »

There are at least two girls from Harrow in the current year 7 at TGS. They are managing somehow, though I think they need to get up ridiculously early...

P.S. DD just told me that there is a mini bus from Harrow.
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

Why on earth would anyone apply from as far out as Harrow without knowing for sure how their child would be getting to the school? On public transport it would be about 1hr 30mins on a good day with at least 3 or 4 changes of bus/tube/train. One delay and you're late. What do you do if there is a strike or an entire tube line is delayed? Really unfair on the poor child who has to make that journey.

Were there really no other suitable schools nearer? Did you apply to Watford Grammar? Surely that must be nearer?
samsa

Post by samsa »

I can't understand how anyone would want to subject and eleven year old to this journey, it seems totally unfair. I think even an adult would think twice about commuting such a distance. Surely at eleven there are better things to do than spend about three hours a day on public transport.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

OP also secured a place at a Reading Indie - travel time was obviously not a criteria for school selection :(
omismum

Post by omismum »

Thank you very much for all concerned parents,,,

Harrow is a place which doesn't come in any catchment area not even Watford.
Their are indeed great Private school around. But it is a very expensive option even after few percentage of scholarship.
So we have to try every possible option baring in mind that we might have to move.

I have total understanding of time my dd will be spending in a bus travel and we will definitely take some action.
before that I was just checking the options, as their are many factors to think.

Every parent wants best for their children's.

I think, that's what I am trying to do.

Thanks
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I think every one would understand your point of view. It is just that TGS and TS have left this option wide open which many find very tempting, irrespective of the distances involved.

Best option for you is to contact TGS and ask to put in touch with parents of other girls coming from your area or nearby Greenford/Southall. A good number of girls come from there and perhaps you could sort out some arrangements.

Other option is to visit TGS or TS at school end time and speak to mini bus drivers around there.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now