TGS - New girls from Halifax and bristol

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

elevenplusmum

Re: TGS - New girls from Halifax and bristol

Post by elevenplusmum »

I can't understand why so many people care that other people's 'poor' girls are travelling vast distances.
If their parents don't mind , why should we ?
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Because secondary schools, whether grammar, comprehensive, private or whatever, are about so much more than academic achievement. The best schools offer wide ranges of after-school activities which long-distance travellers are not going to be able to take part in. If you miss your minibus, you have no other way of getting home. So you can't be in the play, or the concert , or the cricket match, or the art exhibition or whatever it is. Several DCs at my son's school are in this position and it's just not fair on them. Travelling a long way by public transport can also be gruelling and you've still got your homework to do when you get back. An adult friend of mine who went to a girls' grammar and had to travel miles says now all she can remember about school is the travelling - waiting in the rain in the dark for a series of buses. She wishes her parents had sent her somewhere closer to home. So there you go, those are my thoughts on the subject! I know not everyone will agree... Peridot
Ela

Post by Ela »

elevenplusmum wrote:I can't understand why so many people care that other people's 'poor' girls are travelling vast distances.
If their parents don't mind , why should we ?
Let's say, I'm in Maidstone and my DD wishes to visit her BF in Luton... That gets complicated and therefore she will not stay as her BF for long. :roll:

By the way, How did your DDs feel after the induction day? Mine was very confused, came out with 0 enthusiasm... Perhaps had too high expectations for the first day?
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

Ela wrote: By the way, How did your DDs feel after the induction day? Mine was very confused, came out with 0 enthusiasm... Perhaps had too high expectations for the first day?
I think a lot happened, my DD was very tired, probably too much that was new in one go. I got the impression parts of the day had gone into a blur as moved on to next thing frequently, there was important stuff to remember in parts, and the fun bits got swamped.

Not sure what she was expecting but at her primary, they haven't really been doing much since SATs, odd trips, working on end of term show, occasional lessons so maybe has wound down and wasn't expecting such a lot in one go this side of September.
SGSMumof2

Post by SGSMumof2 »

My dd seemed a lot less excited at the end of the day too than the journey to the school in the morning. I think the realisation that life will be very different really dawned on my dd. I'm sure it will be different once they start.

and from a selfish point of view I wish people lived nearer to the school. Its a real shame if after school activities don't really happen due to people traveling long distance. And I do have huge sympathy for girls traveling - there's enough of that when you grow up - let alone not ever seeing your school friends because no one will go to Hatfield for a play date.

When will the Govt listen and open up more grammar schools and reduce this mad superselective business that causes children to get up at 6 to go to school and come back get on with homework eat something and then go to bed?
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Mine was happy as she met some very nice friendly girls in her new form, and she enjoyed her lunch, but she was also quite overwhelmed by the whole day, and felt unwell when she got home. I think there was a lot for them to take in.
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Maidstone? Students from Maidstone??? Please tell me this is untrue
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

They must be thinking of relocating. :wink:

Otherwise, Kent is full of grammars; Invicta Girls and not far off, Tonbridge Girls are 2 of the superb schools there.
WOTMum

Post by WOTMum »

Peridot wrote:Because secondary schools, whether grammar, comprehensive, private or whatever, are about so much more than academic achievement. The best schools offer wide ranges of after-school activities which long-distance travellers are not going to be able to take part in. If you miss your minibus, you have no other way of getting home. So you can't be in the play, or the concert , or the cricket match, or the art exhibition or whatever it is. Peridot
Totally agree Peridot. However on the subject of after-school activities not flourishing, I know there is plenty of netball and rounders going on after school and currently two end of term drama productions open to Y7s, most of which is going on after school and sometimes lunchtimes. PSA and Music Society particularly active, with many set piece events during the year. Girls encouraged to run events in class/houses taking on some of what is traditionally done by parents in primary.

If they did the parents' meeting at 4pm at the end of the Induction Day like they did last year it's no wonder the Y6 girls were tired. They do keep them very busy all day.

Good luck to all new incoming Y7s.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Yes, neurotic kent mum: Maidstone... But my DD spoke to the girl from Maidstone and said she thought she was moving house. She said several girls told her they were relocating so maybe the situation is not as bad as we first thought.

And thanks for the reassurance WOTmum. My DD is really looking forward to starting school and getting involved in new activities.

Peridot
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now