TGS - New girls from Halifax and bristol

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

panicattack

Re: TGS - New girls from Halifax and bristol

Post by panicattack »

I think most of the negative comments are very misleading about TGS. Please be assured that the day was shortened to allow for activities after school of which there are lots; there're even celebration events in the evening; most children come from within a few miles of the school from places like Twickenham, Richmond, New Malden, Surbiton, Kingston, Teddington, Thames Ditton with some of course making a longer journey (as is the case of ALL SW/ S London grammars-even the two with catchments have open places, too). No-one worries where you're from in the school so all are made to feel very welcome. The girls are bright, work pretty hard but have lots of fun, too.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Thank you Panicattack for more reassurance. I've certainly had a very good impression of the school and what it offers so far. I was just concerned by the fact that so many of the girls live so far away. But some are definitely moving closer and there are plenty from our area (3 point something miles away). My DD just wants to start now!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Good Luck to all the new year 7's. However, let us not be in any illusion that 'most' children come from nearby. In fact, this year despite increase in the number of places in TGS, the number of children from Kingston Borough (Chessington/Worcester Park/New Malden/Surbiton - all included) and the surrounding areas (Richmond/Ham/Esher/SW15/SW20 etc) is actually less than last year.

On the contrary, compared to previous years, there are more children in Tiffins from distant areas such as Southall/Harrow/Hayes/Watford/Croydon/Dulwich.

There are excellent after school activities (music/cricket/regatta) in Tiffin; but my impression is that most yr 7 & 8 children from distant areas are unable to participate fully in these activities. I am pretty sure that same is true of TGS. Things may be slightly different for older children.
TiffinGirls

Post by TiffinGirls »

Historically most school clubs were run at lunchtime; though some sporting and musical events were held in the evening. By the way I think most of the girls in my DD's year (current year 12) were local. It was just the way the school operated.

I think we are quite far away compared to many in that year. DD still managed to participate in a lot of out of school activities in our local area e.g. sport, music etc. It is not just a life of going to school and homework.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Sadly, with regard to the intake, situation has changed a lot worse since 2007. :(
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

tiffinboys wrote:Sadly, with regard to the intake, situation has changed a lot worse since 2007. :(
I'm afraid this is what I hear too. From the various local contacts we have, two of which are tutors, the school is now far harder to get into than it was even a few years ago. We are under no illusions that a place will be even more subject to performance on the day etc. than it was with our earlier children.
Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
TiffinGirls

Post by TiffinGirls »

DD came back from helping out at the TGS open evening in a right old state saying "I am never sending my kids to a frigging grammar school". They had been told not to get into discussion with prospective parents about the admissions tests, all they got all evening was "how do you get in?", "what tutor did you use?", "what is in the tests?". Some parents were actually trying to physically intimidate them (face right up close) etc when they politely explained they were not allowed to talk about it. DD did not get asked a single question about the subject area she was representing. She overheard lots of parents discussing various tutors, how-to-get-in-courses etc in fact no-one seemed that interested in anything else.

I hope users of this forum were not among the rude parents decribed above, can you imagine the horror of having to encounter them at the PTA or parents evening. It almost sounds like the admissions process has deteriorated into a bizarre contest between competiting parents and the tutors they hire.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

TiffinGirls wrote:DD came back from helping out at the TGS open evening in a right old state...
I don't blame her; but remember 90% of those at the open evening won't be gaining a place; it's all a bit pointless and in the end and fortunately it's the kids that go to the school in the end not the parents.
:D
PS
I wasn't there. :lol:
Animis opibusque parati
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Many of the new admissions seem to show extreme parenting, 2 to 3 years of almost daily VR/NVR practice and engaging 2 or even 3 tutors. As a result some very mediocre and average children getting in Tiffin or other grammars and even though they then get a tough life, damage is already done to brighter children, whose parents thought that they would get through on the strength of their natural ability.
Last edited by tiffinboys on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
la boume

Post by la boume »

Same impression here :roll: Year 7 DD did her first open evening. She said, that indeed nearly no one has asked about the subject, everyone was asking "Where do you live?", "Who was your tutor" etc. Some parents she described as "creepy", " freaky", "intimidating" and "plain rude" with very bored children in tow. Came home very tired and had a headache from saying the same things over and over. To one parent, who asked about tutoring she actually said: you know, you need to be clever in a first place. He quickly backed off after that.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now