2000+ applicants for Tiffin Boys!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
London_Mum

Re: 2000+ applicants for Tiffin Boys!

Post by London_Mum »

I shall stand by my earlier prediction that the numbers will be the same or increase on last year's.
I think a defined catchment area, whilst ruling out some (especially those over in Sutton and Cheam) may also bring the school to the attention of more people than before. There is also the psychological aspect that gets people thinking - since they've passed the first hurdle by living in a qualifying postcode, they may as well give it a go. I think Wallington and Nonsuch generate that feeling for example - families living in their designated catchment almost feel obliged to at least try for a place.

I may be totally wrong though but that would be my guess.
Last edited by London_Mum on Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I think too that the candidate numbers would not be less than last year.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

sgsgirl wrote:No email from Tiffin Girls so I'm assuming the numbers aren't as high as Tiffin Boys. Mmm I wonder if the introduction of a 'catchment area' (if you can call it that!) has had anything to do with the numbers! Would love to hear what anyone thinks the numbers will be like for Tiffin Girls this year.
Probably up a bit as well, difficult to guess, maybe about 1800.
Its more complicated 2-stage exams are likely to make it marginally less attractive to the free mock brigade that have no intention of applying. Being in newer buildings (the oldest part is 1950s) gives it a bit more room so can probably cope with 2 overlapping groups of 900 candidates. Tiffin Boys new building (on the site of old dining huts) is still at planning stage.

TGS applicants have also rocketed in recent years
2010 1171, 2011 1199 (almost same), 2012 1471 (+23%), 2013 1626 (+11%, or +36% on 2 years before)
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Though I think numbers would be high, but this year Tiffins tests should be less attractive for state grammars free mock brigade as the tests are after Slough, Redbridge, QE etc tests. Most likely that Tiffins would be a serious choice for those taking the test.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

sgsgirl wrote:No email from Tiffin Girls so I'm assuming the numbers aren't as high as Tiffin Boys. Mmm I wonder if the introduction of a 'catchment area' (if you can call it that!) has had anything to do with the numbers! Would love to hear what anyone thinks the numbers will be like for Tiffin Girls this year.
Existing TGS parents have been told the school will be testing over 1500 candidates on 8th Oct.
Probably safe to say nearer to 1600 or 1700, than 2000+, so similar numbers to last year.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Gosh large numbers again this year then. I've heard that the test costs Tiffin
around £40 per head to administer (and presumably the same for the first stage for TGS) so dealing with those numbers of entrants represents an enormous chunk out of the schools' budgets.
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

Existing TGS parents have been told the school will be testing over 1500 candidates on 8th Oct
Yes, I saw that email too. It seems like a big difference between the boys' and girls' schools. I wonder if it's the 'catchment' area for TGS that has limited the applicants? From memory (may be wrong) they're usually fairly similar in number?

Sherwood
TiffinGirls

Post by TiffinGirls »

Didn't someone make the point that there was less advantage to using them as practice tests because of the timings? Perhaps that as well.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

I'll keep it brief here as there is a seperate thread where this is being discussed, but I wonder if the lure of these selectives is causing high standards through tutoring

Briefly the Goverments 2013 KS2 statistics are showing 19% of Richmond KS2 entries got level 6 in maths and 7% got level 6 in SPAG (England averages were 7% and 2%), Kingston was second highest at 15% and 5% respectively.

Full stats
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rovisional
Thread to discuss
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =5&t=33764
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Allow me to think aloud.
If the standard in Tiffinland is so good than why there are so few children in Tiffins from these areas?
Are Tiffins' selection methods to blame?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now