Greenshaw, Sutton

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
London_Mum

Re: Greenshaw, Sutton

Post by London_Mum »

No - it isn't comparable to Sutton or Wilsons but not everyone has that choice.

Many bright boys will not pass the 11+
Some boys who pass the 11+ will still not get a place at any of the grammar schools.

Parents have to consider non selective or partially selective schools too and, if their local comp is not as good as they'd like, Greenshaw may be a very good option for them as an out of catchment candidate.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Removed my comments :)
Last edited by parent2013 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

I wouldn't necessarily say it is better than outstanding comprehensives either but not everyone has the realistic prospect of an outstanding comprehensive should they fail to get a grammar school place.

Some pupils only have access to an O.K or poorly performing comprehensive unless they can pass a selective test of some sort.
Passing the 11+ obviously opens the possibility of them winning a grammar school place. Failing the 11+ but passing for Greenshaw gives them a chance to opt out of their local comprehensive, if it is bad, and access a better comprehensive instead. The child would also then be in the top set at Greenshaw and given work appropriate to their ability which may or may not happen at their local comprehensive.

Some comprehensive schools cater fantastically well for high ability children but others do not.
If you are unlucky enough to live close to one that is not good, applying for a selective place at Greenshaw is a way of avoiding the local school you would inevitably be given.
That sounds like I am criticising Greenshaw which isn't the case at all. When people express surprise that anyone would bother to sit an exam for a school that isn't a full grammar school, they may not realise how desperate other parents are to avoid their local schools and how much better Greenshaw is compared to those.
mumzone

Post by mumzone »

Following on from the previous comment, my DS was one of those who missed out on a grammar place & a Greenshaw ability place was offered to us. Just to let you know that these bright boys & girls who gain an ability place are treated the same as all the other students. Every student is only placed in sets for maths during Yr 7, all the other subjects are taught in mixed ability groups. Having experienced this system myself at school I know that this simply does not work. This was my main concern about Greenshaw. They are in sets for languages in Yr 8, but not until Yr 10 for subjects like English & Science. Having said this, I was really impressed with the headmaster & it came across as a well run school.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

mumzone, this system sounds the same as our comp in Herts, though they don't say anything about ability (except for lower ability!) in website or prospectus, and when I asked in the subject I was concerned about they assured me they were good at differentiation (well.... :roll: I think that is really hard to pull off with levels 4 to 8 in one class). I've got one DD there but not very thrilled in many ways so trying to get dd2 into a selective school instead. Also for option B we are looking at other comp options in the area, but it's going to be a cause of sibling strife and extra travel to go to another comp-it's going to be hard to justify that unless there is a huge difference between the comp schools.

What did you find were the problems for you and did you get any help advice or solutions along the way? We are stuck there for DD1 at this stage (Y9).