Tiffin Boys 2014 - results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ClappedOutMum

Re: Tiffin Boys 2014 - results

Post by ClappedOutMum »

SunlampVexesEel wrote:
aram wrote:my friend`s son got 199 they can`t understand about their result. please anybody can you advice?
The group taking the test is selective; only those who think they have a chance take it... and people from a large catchment take the test... getting 199 is good result it shows that they were in the middle of all candidates pretty much scoring higher than 50% of them. That's beating 1000 people... pretty awesome!
The reality is that competition is really fierce with heavy tutoring/practice and the margins for error are tiny... scoring 90% in practice papers doesn't cut it for these tests if a good proportion of the candidates are also scoring 90%; indeed you can score 99% and still get beaten by enough candidates to fill Tiffin if they are scored 100%. The tests have got more and more competative over the years.
There are a few candidates that will score 140s; but these are rare... for us mere mortals life is far more nerve wracking... it could easily go either way... and we didn't tutor for years.... scary.
Regards
SVE
But to answer expressly Aram's question: 199 will not be good enough. Your friend's DS (like mine) is very "average" in this cohort of very bright (or at least or as well extensively tutored) children. Well done the rest of you!
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

etranger wrote:Also received e-mail with score, but not as high as can be seen seen at the beginning of this thread. We slightly above the water - 239.

e-mail got me confused regarding Tiffin's historical Information:

What is the difference between following:

"Initial qualifying score” and "Final qualifying score" ?

Is FQS is merely a lowest_score_admitted from waiting list or is it something else?

Also, what is:
"Offers after initial offers"

Are these offers made after 1-March ???
Initial qualifying score is those offered on 1st March. Some will have chosen another school as a higher preference, and got in there instead, and for these the next one one on list will be offered instead. Difficult to know how many go elsewhere but guessing the initial allocation takes upto about 250th - 300th on list.

Subsequently some turn down their offers, and go elsewhere including independants, therefore each time this happens they offer to next on list (offers after initial), eventually this process dries up and the final offer is the lowest (actually it is taken late July for the following years brochure, so could creap even lower if there were very late offers just before term starts)
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

Well, now I'll be able to conduct my own little social experiment into the long term impact of a grammar school education! Dd is at TGS, ds scored 210 so will be going to the mixed comp down the road. I'll report back in ten years and let you know how it turned out! ;)

For those not getting the result they hoped for today, remember that the 11+ is not the be all and end all. For what it's worth, my brother went to Tiffin and I went to the mixed comp down the road. I achieved better O levels and A levels than him, and went on to get a better degree and a post-graduate degree too. A bright, well supported child will do well wherever they go.

So good luck to all our dcs, may they thrive in whichever school is lucky enough to have them!
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

Hi Sherwood.. Is the mixed comp the nearest one to TGS? I have a boy at TS and my daughter was at that mixed comp ( now at 6th form) DS2 has just missed joining his broither and will be going to the comp too. I have no qualms whatsoever as his sister left with a haul of A/A* and 2 Bs at GCSE
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Sherwood wrote:Well, now I'll be able to conduct my own little social experiment into the long term impact of a grammar school education!

I'll report back in ten years and let you know how it turned out!
LOL! I will be joining you! :D
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

whichwitch wrote:Hi Sherwood.. Is the mixed comp the nearest one to TGS?
No, it's the other one - starting with H. I have a friend whose ds left with 12 A* a couple of years back, and another who did the same last year, so I'm confident my ds will also do well there.

I've heard great things about the comp near TGS - a good friend has two ds there who love it. :)
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

JaysDarlin my sympathies too. I have two friends in the same position as you (but waiting to hear TGS result) with two older children at either TS or TGS and it's a lot of pressure on the third child, and the parents of the third child of course. Other friends in a similar position were disappointed last year. But their DC's have now had half a term at excellent comps and are happy and thriving. Good luck to your DS wherever he goes. And of course to all the other DCs. Peridot x
Marypoppins

Post by Marypoppins »

Congratulations to all parents with such high results - a very enviable position to be in.
It's good to rely on the local comp as a backup, however, in my neck of the woods, the local comp have poor ofsted reports and even worst reputation all around.
What do you do in such situations?
Sharpboy

Post by Sharpboy »

Hi guys,
Just adding my DS number= 260 ( NVR - 140 , VR - 120 ) .
Congrats and Well done To all DS.
Thanks to 11plus forum for keeping us informed ...... :-)
Cheers.
Roz12

Post by Roz12 »

Marypoppins wrote:Congratulations to all parents with such high results - a very enviable position to be in.
It's good to rely on the local comp as a backup, however, in my neck of the woods, the local comp have poor ofsted reports and even worst reputation all around.
What do you do in such situations?
Hello

You should post this as a separate topic and hopefully get many useful replies. My DD didn't get into any grammar school but I'm lucky as our local comp is the only outstanding comp and opposite our house. Otherwise every other school in our area has poor ofsted results. I hear all the new Harris academies are good but not sure if there is one near you?

Good luck
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now