What should I do?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Haleema

Re: What should I do?

Post by Haleema »

Thank..everyone..
I am single mother struggling for more than a year over tuition
My DS has a strong academic background..
He was seen by doctor a day before exam,and given antibiotic for cough..
I don't drive..
Have a younger sibling that goes in stains..
Child needs to travel on his own..And it's a nearest grammar school

And I don't know pls help..for strong appeal
Haleema

Post by Haleema »

I am looking for private as well applied for bursaries and scholarship...but still...

The result was too shocking..it's not my son..he is always on top...
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

What ever you do, please please don't make him feel that he failed. He is your son and he did very well under the circumstances.

And as other forum members suggested before, you have to be realistic about appeal. But if you go that route, there is lot of information in the Appeals section. Post your query there and I am sure that Etienne or Sally-Anne or some other experienced member will help you. Best of Luck.

Also have you done the CAF? Do include whichever is the best comprehensive school near to you, after the grammars. Did you consider Slough grammars - are you in Langley's catchment area? Other Slough grammars Upton Court and Herschel may also be do-able from your area. Also there are few good comprehensives in Hounslow area - see if your DS has any possibility there. Today is the last date for CAF.............
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Haleema wrote:He was seen by doctor a day before exam,and given antibiotic for cough..
The guidance is very clear...
Admission Criteria wrote:What if my son is unwell or not fit to take the tests on the day?
Do not send him to take the test.
IMHO Claiming illness in retrospect seems unlikely as a basis for an appeal.
Animis opibusque parati
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Haleema please remember your son has still done very well indeed - you should be proud of his achievement. Unfortunately though when applying for Tiffin he was competing with hundreds of other boys who are also at the top of their class. Use his achievement so far to reassure him that he will succeed and be happy whatever school he goes to. Good luck. Peridot.
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

Granted your son is always on top, but so are the other 1750 children who did not get over 230 marks. My son is the top child in his primary (60 in his year) (well I would say that :D ) but only came half-way up here. The cohort is extremely bright and many will have been preparing for years for this test ... no reflection at all on the ability of your DS.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Haleema, I can understand your worries but you now need to look ahead. The score is not really enough to have much success. You now need to think about alternatives and not let your dismay affect your judgement. Other posters have suggested schools like Langley or ones near Slough; you say that a sibling is already travelling that way and that journey is very popular on public transport with children from your area.

As for being a single parent, well, many of us are, but we get on with it. Your DS might qualify for a bursary for an independent school, but as for a scholarship - he will need to come in the top 5 or so, I would suggest, and even then the scholarships that these schools give out are not very much at all. You will need to apply for independent schools in the next 2 weeks or so. And they cost between £50 and £100 a time so be sure you want to try this.

Please don't make your son feel like he's failed, he did his best. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find a school that suits your DS.
Haleema

Post by Haleema »

I did applied in other grammars as well..
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

How did he do in the other GS entrance tests? Did you put down your nearest comprehensive as back up or do you have an independent school as back up?
Haleema

Post by Haleema »

I did have independent schools as backup..

He didn't qualified in any of the grammars..very very close to qualifying score..

So devastated ..but I didn't let him feel anything..

I want some good points for appeal at Tiffins..
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now