TGS - 2012/13 Final mark scaling details

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sgsgirl

Re: TGS - 2012/13 Final mark scaling details

Post by sgsgirl »

Hi aram, last year was the first year the 2 stage test was done. A raw score of 123 got you a standardised score of 219 which was then scaled down to only 1/30. Your DD has scored 125 raw score which has been standardised to 219 but we know that this isn't the cut off mark or the lowest mark allowed to progress to stage 2. That standardised mark was 214 so that DDs mark must have been lower than your DD's. Maybe someone else with more statistical knowledge will be able to help you further.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

TiffinBoys has already answered this as far is possible. The score is around 1/30.

There really isn't enough information to be more precise (and it's pretty irrelevant anyway).

If you wanted to speculate then you could estimate that there are a few genius type and they scored 80+80=160 raw score. And that at the low end the raw score is just a couple of raw points below 65+60=125 (given that that score is standardised 219) since the cutoff was 214 and relatively lots of scorers would be around that range.

So guessing you get something like this... low Raw 123, high Raw 180

123 raw gets 0 points
125 raw gets 1 point
152 raw gets 15 points
180 raw gets 30 points

But the whole thing is irrelevant since the results of the other tests will drastically affect the outcome.

Regards
SVE

PS
If you want to be pedantic then you also need to consider the distribution of these scores.... there will be relatively few high scorers compared to low scorers because the the ability of candidates to get answers correct is not uniformly distributed!
Last edited by SunlampVexesEel on Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Animis opibusque parati
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

The lowest raw marks would get 1 (not zero), in last year's scheme of marking. Other wise, as SVE has pointed out. And we don't know, what TGS would this year. We have to wait till 3rd March for that.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Last year my DD's raw score was 149/160 (79v 70nv) which equated to 23.18/30 in the final scaling. The highest raw score last year was 157/160 which scaled to 30/30. The lowest raw score was 123/160 which became 1/30. Posting this in case this helps in working out the distribution of scores. Although yes, not necessarily the same this year.
munch

Post by munch »

My DS scored 218 with a raw score of 71/80 for VR and 49/80 for NVR, standardised 120 for VR and 98 for NVR.
Therefore, from what I have seen on this thread, she has only gone into Stage 2 with 1/30 if it is similar to last year. :(
Her English level is very high whereas her Maths is just about average.
Am I correct in thinking that unless she scores spectacularly in English we haven't got a hope?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

munch wrote:My DS scored 218 with a raw score of 71/80 for VR and 49/80 for NVR, standardised 120 for VR and 98 for NVR.
Therefore, from what I have seen on this thread, she has only gone into Stage 2 with 1/30 if it is similar to last year. :(
Am I correct in thinking that unless she scores spectacularly in English we haven't got a hope?
No one knows. Last year's final cut-off, I believe, was below 49 (out of 100). If same methods were used, then your dd would need to score well in stage 2.

What scaling method will be used by TGS this year is any one's guess. And how other candidates have performed, is another factor. So better enjoy the holidays and leave the worries till 3rd March. Good Luck.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

tiffinboys wrote:
munch wrote:My DS scored 218 with a raw score of 71/80 for VR and 49/80 for NVR, standardised 120 for VR and 98 for NVR.
No one knows. Last year's final cut-off, I believe, was below 49 (out of 100). If same methods were used, then your dd would need to score well in stage 2.

What scaling method will be used by TGS this year is any one's guess. And how other candidates have performed, is another factor. So better enjoy the holidays and leave the worries till 3rd March. Good Luck.
Its very difficult to tell, the distribution of marks of stage 1 is very one tailed. There will be a couple of genius with about 29 or 30 out of 30, but there will be loads with only a few marks. Remember the test had 1500+ sitting it, but only about the top 30% sat round 2, if you look at a normal distribution and then ignore left hand half (below average), its clear you only have right hand tail. In fact you are looking at top 30% (as that's all that sit round 2) so you need to remove about 0.4 of the area of right as well (from 50% average mark to 70%).

If your daughter is strong at English (both papers) then it could be enough to get enough overall, my DD (who sat last year) had raw 46.7% for reading which became scaled 59% and raw 70% for writing became scaled 84.1%. So the reading and writing got scaled up, but the VR-NVR and Maths were scaled down. Therefore 1 out of 30 in VR-NVR could be enough if you get the marks in other papers. Strong English could give you majority of the marks you need to reach the cut-off (initial cut-off was 49.78%, final cut-off hasn't been published but is thought to be about 48.5%)

Try not to think about it until March (you wont know breakdown of marks until letter comes in post on 4th (or 5th as Royal mail isn't 100% perfect), even if you get the result on email evening of 3rd
Last edited by Snowdaddy on Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
munch

Post by munch »

Thank you Tiffinboys, and Snowdaddy for a glimmer of hope!
Once we are into January I'm sure the weeks will fly by and what will be, will be. Good luck to all those waiting. :)