London school atlas

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
panicattack

London school atlas

Post by panicattack »

This was in the papers a few weeks ago but the Greater London Authority has published a map which highlights the boroughs and wards from which pupils attend secondary schools. It's quite interesting if your child is due to attend a school to see where others are coming from. If you are lucky enough to have a choice of grammar school, knowing where others come from may help with your CAF order.

Anyway, here it is. I only hope I can make the link work http://www.london.gov.uk/webmaps/lsa/

Sure there is some interesting analysis to be done here!
TiffinGirls

Re: London school atlas

Post by TiffinGirls »

Thank you for posting that. I assume it doesn't identify wards where only one or two children attend a particular school though (at least it doesn't for mine!) so not 100 per cent accurate. Also the high proportion in my area that attend private schools.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

No it's just state primary and secondary schools. Don't know if it picks up a single individual in a particular ward. I assumed it did. Any analysis anyone? Any surprising "facts"?
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

It's not that easy to use so I thought I'd summarise some key info. The Forum seems more interested in Tiffin catchments so let's start there.

It's a fairly rough tool as it doesn't say how many pupils come from each ward. So these are very rough percentages of borough representations based on individual wards eg. if Kingston had 40 wards out of 100 in total it would be 40%. (Where a ward says it has 5% of the total intake, I have counted this as 5% rather than a single ward).

Tiffin Boys - Kingston 30%, Richmond 24%, Hounslow 22%, Ealing 8%, Wandsworth 6%, Merton 6%, Elmbridge 2%, Hillingdon 2%

TGS- Kingston 41%, Richmond 21%, Elmbridge 13%, Hounslow 10%, Merton 9%, Ealing 2%, Sutton 2%, Epsom 2%

Some surprises here I think. Elmbridge does very well with TGS. Merton poorly with Tiffin Boys in particular. Over half from Kingston and Richmond as you'd expect.

Are there precise figures anywhere based on actual numbers rather than wards?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

We would love if Tiffins had 40% kids from Kingston.
Just show wrong it is to try to get ant meaningful info from this Atlas.

Panic attack, actual figures were posted on their website by Tiffin school. It is no longer there on their new website, but suppose you could ask for it under FOI.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

It wouldn't surprise me if there were some room for error in the Atlas but it gives a broad indication based on wards. It suggests that 15% of Tiffin Girls come from just 3 wards in Kingston : Canbury, St James and Tudor. So Kingston not doing too badly at all but I'm sure local residents would want more. Looks like the real battle for places is with Richmond and Elmbridge!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I don't think it suggest that 15% girls comes from 3 wards. As I see it, it just suggest that less than 5% girls comes from each of those wards. That could also mean just 1% or 2% from each of these wards.

As far as Tiffin Schools are concerned, this atlas gives totally wrong impression. I say this on the basis of actual data that we have since 2007.......

If you are really so much interested in Tiffins' intake, Panicattack, then it is best to make FOI requests to both of the Tiffin Schools and get actual data and then analyse.
onlythebrave

Post by onlythebrave »

Panicattack, thanks for posting this link. It was interesting to analyse. I found that state schools had the most children who were local to the school. Faith schools had wide catchment areas and grammar schools tended to take children from the boroughs surrounding the home local authority.

In all honesty I understand the potential conflict for parents who reside in the borough of a grammar school but find they have no local advantage and parents who are within easy travelling distance of a grammar school and would prefer there child had a selective education.

Each grammar school's admissions policy has it pros and cons but Sutton grammar school's comes pretty close to being the fairest. Apart from the fact that their stage 2 test is after the CAF entry date. This will not stop excessive tutoring or parents buying or renting property within the catchment area but at least most children will be able to access the tests.
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

tiffinboys wrote:If you are really so much interested in Tiffins' intake, Panicattack, then it is best to make FOI requests to both of the Tiffin Schools and get actual data and then analyse.
Are you saying the school atlas doesn't use actual data?

Or is it that it doesn't give the answers that you want it to?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now