Wallington Waiting List

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
gemini23

Wallington Waiting List

Post by gemini23 »

Hello Everyone
Congratulations to those who managed to get place in their preferred school!
I often read the posts regarding grammar school and find the information quite useful.
I need help regarding my daughter who passed the Wallington Grammar School Exam this year but unfortunately didn't get a place. Her score is above the pass mark, which was 326 and she scored 345, we are out of catchment.
My question is if there is any chance of her getting a place as she is in the waiting list.
Please advice.

Many Thanks

Gemini
loopylou

Re: Wallington Waiting List

Post by loopylou »

The other thread indicates that 374 was the lowest score required if living outside of catchment.
gemini23

Post by gemini23 »

What if one moves to the area, does it increase the chance to get a place based on the 4.4.5 criteria and my DD moving up in the waiting list.
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

Yes it does but it has to be a permanent move eg you would not be allowed to just rent a new address for a few months and keep a home elsewhere. It would need to be a genuine house move. Once you have done that, you would need to provide evidence of your new address and the list would be updated.
However newly freed up places will start to be offered out in 2 weeks time so, unless you can act very quickly, you may find that by the time the new address is verified movement on the waiting list has virtually stopped or at least slowed considerably. The most movement usually happens fairly soon (although that is not always the case and not predictable)
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I believe wait list is not static list. So new people moving in would result in changes in wait list. However, the problem now is the number of places available now in each of the categories would not be much. Change in address if accepted by School/LA now has to be done within days, before new round of allocation - which may be immediately after 17 March acceptance deadline. Good Luck if you want to go this route.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

cross post with loopylou. Totally agree with her comments.
gemini23

Post by gemini23 »

It doesn't look like it's going to work.I was a little optimistic here.
Thanks
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

There's no harm in looking into it but I think it would be optimistic to bank on it.

I had missed the detail tiffinboys raises namely category 4.4.5 only consists of 30 places for people living 6km from the Pound Street area. The chance of places from that category being reoffered is therefore considerably lower simply because only 30 people currently hold them. The bulk of places are offered in 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 but the scores required in those categories are higher.

On the basis that you would have to genuinely move to get the address verified for admissions purposes, it would be a big risk to uproot just on the off chance that one of the 30 places becomes free at a time that coincides with you completing a house move. If however you are considering a move anyway then you might as well combine it to increase your chances in that way because if the timings did coincide you would almost certainly be at the top of the 4.4.5 waiting list with that score.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

I know of 6 girls who are turning down places, so there will be movement - just a tricky couple of weeks...
gemini23

Post by gemini23 »

Thanks for all your helpful comments but to me it's more of luck here and with a risk of moving at such a short time frame, still not sure whether you will get it or not!