Movement on the Tiffin boys and girls school waiting lists ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
loopylou

Re: Movement on the Tiffin boys and girls school waiting lis

Post by loopylou »

Places will not be withdrawn just because a parent has not responded. There are very defined circumstances when an offer may be withdrawn and a council would need to demonstrate significant efforts have been made before they can withdraw the place. This would involve at least one more written offer being sent out, a reasonable new deadline set and usually telephone and email chasing as well. It can take a long time for a no-answer to become a no.

Some councils also reoffer in batches. They don't necessarily send 1 new offer letter out in response to each declined place that comes in. There can be small delays at many points along the chain in fact.

Parents can ask that their child be added to the list of an originally lower ranked school or they might move house after March 3rd. Both of these can slot new people into higher positions on lists depending on the admissions criteria and the child's score.

I seem to remember Sutton Grammar being particularly quick off the mark with reoffers in previous years but other schools seem to have a burst of activity in early April and then a steady (but sometimes slow) stream of new offers through the summer and beyond. Tiffins always seemed a bit later but that was probably because they had to wait for 8 or 9 rejections before being able to offer places to everyone on 228 or 229. They don't have to wait this year so may be more in line with the other schools.
minicab

Post by minicab »

Called Tiffin school today and it looks that unfortunately there is NO movement yet. They are still waiting data from the council and therefore we need to wait another couple of days to find about waiting place.
Once we getting through with this, I do not want to see or use again this word: WAIT!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

TS is used to make offers in batch and they are used to issuing information just before or after Easter break. But I hope this time perhaps offers/wait list info will come a bit earlier.

In the mean time, relax and try to have good time. It is too early to worry. What will be, will be - but I am very hopeful that all 232s will get the place in Tiffin.
Best wishes for you all.
J50

Post by J50 »

You'll be fine I'm sure. And there's nothing you can do about it now anyway! As you say KGS is a good alternative, some would say better... though I do have some reservations about their sports' arrangements also :roll:
minicab

Post by minicab »

They are still some boys with 233 that were not offered places (don't know how many...) and then there are probably quite a few with 232. And this year the rules are different as everybody knows: there will be the distance taken into account and there will be no more offers for the WHOLE of the 232's. Only up to the 150 places.
Luckly we live near the school (200 meters!) so should be not that far down on the wait list.
I was allways worried when we got the results last year that this will happen: waiting list!
However, we look at the bright side: it could have been 234 or 235 or even higher cut off and then would have been a lot harder (if not imposible!) to get a chance on wait list.
And all this hassle for 1 (one) mark!!!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

In the last 4 years, TS has offered at least 21 places after initial allocation. Good Luck.
minicab

Post by minicab »

Gooooooooooood news!
Got the offer tonight through email!
All his hard work paid off. And all prayers.
I would like to thank to everybody on this forum for all the help, guidance and support.
Wish you all good luck!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

:D Very happy for you and your DS, minicab. Congratulations.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

That's excellent news, minicab. I hope your son really enjoys life at Tiffin.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

minicab wrote:Gooooooooooood news!
Excellent. :D
Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now