Primary Schools near Tiffin Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nvasu

Primary Schools near Tiffin Girls

Post by nvasu »

Hi,

Can anyone tell me about the outstanding primary schools near Tiffin Girls

Thanks
SunlampVexesEel

Re: Primary Schools near Tiffin Girls

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

There is no advantage being near TGS so what you probably mean is "Are there decent Primary Schools within reasonable travel distance of TGS?"... there are many but they are heavily over-subscribed so you need to be very very close to them... and IMHO the huge expansion of many schools is putting pressure on their standards.

If you have other younger children then being very close to TGS could be a disadvantage since if they do not pass the TGS tests they will be subject to the criteria of other schools and distance is likely to be a factor.

Good Luck
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
bridge

Post by bridge »

I am no expert but fernhill and latchmere spring to mind.
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

Yes, be careful about this. If the younger child doesn't make it into Tiffin then you need to keep an eye on the shrinking catchment for the outstanding comprehensive ( Grey Court) - lots of children didn't get offered GC from the streets around Latchmere and Fern Hill. Of course you might have the option of the new school that's due to open next year. I think some parts of Twickenham might get you in catchment for both Waldegrave and Orleans Park ( can't swear to that) but I know nothing of the primaries over that way.
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

I agree with the others who have advised on this. The popular primary schools in North Kingston are hugely oversubscribed. This has been an issue for years so, unless they happen to have a space free in the year group needed, and unless there are no other children also waiting for a place, you may have problems accessing any of those anyway.

The location around Tiffins can also leave you high and dry for secondary school options. Gaining entry into Tiffins has got more competitve year on year and, with larger year groups coming through primary schools now, there is no reason to think this trend won't continue. You may have funds for private schooling in which case this isn't such a problem but if you intend to use state schools, the area around Tiffins isn't the best place to live.
If your younger child is a girl, parts of Teddington are catchment for Waldegrave or you could look at New Malden to be in catchment for Coombe Girls' School. It is easy to commute to Kingston from either. If you are reliant on state schools for secondary options, I would totally agree with the other comments here about putting that above all primary school considerations.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The ofsted gradings can change, especially as the focus of inspections has changed recently, it is more focossed on what the child is learning. Some previously outstanding schools were classified as requiring improvement or even unsatisfactory. Not sure what year group your children are in, but a lot can change in a school in 5 years
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

If its any help, the local primaries have changed quite a bit and the Ofsted reports are a bit out of date. Many are completely different to when the current cohort transferring to Secondaries started at the primaries 7-8 years ago.

Many headteachers have retired (was about 8 out of the 40 primaries in RBK last year alone), many schools have expanded or taken in bulge classes and to some extent their eye was taken off the ball by dealing with this. The bulge classes caused uneven catchments different years and some of the localness has been taken away. Look back at the KS2 results for some North Kingston schools 5 or 6 years ago and you will see 100% meeting the grade, its fallen since, as some management time was diverted to setting up extra classes. (Ofsted reports do show the Head, and size etc, so compare to now)

As stated above getting in could be a problem, as many are full. Also note that Kingston and Richmond Councils are merging their Education Depts (another distraction) so the schools in Ham just over the border will end up with same Council team. Probably the only school to maintain its position is the small St Lukes but as its basically a 1 class a year you almost have to live within a stones throw and attend correct church to stand any chance.

In reality might need to find a primary slightly further away, wont affect the Tiffin application, but would probably take you out of walking distance. I'm aware of some who walk upto about a mile (not many cycle as TGS bike sheds are small even though there are easy cycle routes from many areas)

Hope this helps
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now