Newstead school v/s NonSuch school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
elevenpraforum

Newstead school v/s NonSuch school

Post by elevenpraforum »

hi,

My daughter has been offered place at Newstead which we had accepted and now has been offered place at Nonsuch aswell (as we put her name on the waiting list).

Please guide us - which is a better school???

Many Thanks.
DC17C

Re: Newstead school v/s NonSuch school

Post by DC17C »

Does your dd have a preference? Not in your area so no idea about the schools mentioned but I did have to chose between 3 schools DD was qualified for- I very much went by where I thought my DD would fit in best- not necessarily the best one by academic results. They were all pretty good but the atmosphere of the school, subjects offered and sheer practicality of the journey all need to be considered ( there will be days when children are ill and need collecting from school) and the result is DD is doing very well in all her subjects and is happy and motivated.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

A bit of a bias towards Nonsuch here, as a good friend of mine went there and she turned out very well, as they say - but that was decades ago and the school might well have changed a bit since then :lol:

What did you both / all think when you went round the schools? Presumably you actually ranked Nonsuch above Newstead Wood when you filled in your CAF but was this a question of really having a strong preference for Nonsuch over NW, or did you actually rate them pretty much equally but obviously had to put one first? Its a pity that its the holidays now - I assume that you will have to let your LA know your response well before there is a chance to ask to look round both again.

As DC17C says, the practicality of the school journey is also something to consider. Another thought - voiced on a thread elsewhere on the forum - is to say to yourself and DD, 'The place at Newstead Wood / The place at Nonsuch has been withdrawn' - and see which statement upsets you / her the most.

They are both good schools, though, so please don't get hung up on league table rankings as a reason to choose....
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
modernista

Post by modernista »

Dont know much about Newstead. Nonsuch is a large school and your DD will thrive is she is academic and has a strong personality of her own.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

elevenpraforum wrote:hi,

My daughter has been offered place at Newstead which we had accepted and now has been offered place at Nonsuch aswell (as we put her name on the waiting list).

Please guide us - which is a better school???

Many Thanks.
Both are great school. You won't go wrong if you go by your gut feeling, ease of travel and your child's preference.