Elections 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiffinboys

Elections 2014

Post by tiffinboys »

I have always voted since becoming eligible to do so. This time I wonder if ordinary people are ever heard and our vote is of any importance, specially at the local election.

I have raised the issue of Tiffins with all of our local councillors and despair at their attitude.

Labour: Dead against grammars.
Liberals: Allied with Labour and tried to abolish Tiffins' grammar status in 1986. Current Leader of the Council wrote to me that she would like to do so again, if she could.
Conservatives: Talk, talk and talk, agree to support but actually do nothing.

Who shall we turn to? Kingston Parents Party or what else? So annoyed that for the first time I am thinking it is not worth bothering to vote any more.
dlb

Re: Elections 2014

Post by dlb »

Maybe you should stand for election next time Tiffin Boys!! Then we would keep our grammars and have local kids at them :)
But seriously, all the main parties are a waste of space over education.... don't get me going!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
J50

Post by J50 »

Vote MRLP. The only party that makes sense because they don't make sense.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

A quote I've just seen,

Bad politicians are voted in by good people who don't vote.

I've always voted. If most people took the opinion that their vote doesn't count for much, where would we be?

In our ward, we usually have the highest voter turnout in Reading. Up to today all our councillors are Green. I'm not expecting that to change. Basically because they get their finger out and actually do stuff.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

In our area, I suppose we try to elect lesser of the devils standing in.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

In our european elections we have a "Yorkshire First" party. The leader lives in Oslo. :?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

tiffinboys wrote:In our area, I suppose we try to elect lesser of the devils standing in.
My in laws live in Kingston, I get the impression they don't think any are the lesser of the devils as you put it.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Just been to vote and our ballot paper was stupidly long. It was so quiet in there the teller almost bit my arm of off to get at my polling card!

As we live in one of the safest Tory seats in the country and have Hague and Clegg's country house about 500 yards up the road I'm not holding my breath, mind you Nigel Farage only lives about 2 miles away too :shock:
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

So the Tories have gained control in Kingston from the Lib Dems. What impact will that have on schools?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

doodles wrote:Just been to vote and our ballot paper was stupidly long. It was so quiet in there the teller almost bit my arm of off to get at my polling card!

As we live in one of the safest Tory seats in the country and have Hague and Clegg's country house about 500 yards up the road I'm not holding my breath, mind you Nigel Farage only lives about 2 miles away too :shock:

I worked a poll station....spent 15 hours saying, "yes it is ridiculously long isn't it, no there are no local elections" Well only about 75 times actually, as I manned a very small station, in fact less as many people came in twos. :lol:

They provided us with a long flexible big ruler thing, that cost £10 each, called a ballot paper ram, to squash the papers through the ballot box. My colleague used it mercilessly on a few blue bottles, but otherwise we managed to explain to people that they would need to fold papers three times!

Highlight of the day....Well night...the pub next door brought us a basket of chips at about 9pm....yum!