Tiffin girls: Induction day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hina

Tiffin girls: Induction day

Post by hina »

hello there
has anyone heard from Tiffin girls regards to the induction day? i was told its 2nd july? but i have nothing in writing!!
Snowdaddy

Re: Tiffin girls: Induction day

Post by Snowdaddy »

Not sure of the date this year, but it is same for all the Kingston secondaries as all year 6 are expected to attend their new school on same day. It is usually early July

Plenty of time for a letter to be sent, dont worry yet. Probably be after half term. It will detail everything, there is usually a Parents briefing at end of day about 3pm for hour or so.

There is another day mid September (its offsite and is a familiarisation and friends making day), 2 classes one day, 3 the other (as venue cant take 150 together). My DD is Year 7, girls loved it
dlb

Post by dlb »

Hina - info about induction day is in the welcome pack - 2nd July 9-3.30. Parents 2.30-3.30!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
hina

Post by hina »

thank you all, i missed the welcome party in april!!! lol. you guys are so helpful.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

dlb wrote:Hina - info about induction day is in the welcome pack - 2nd July 9-3.30. Parents 2.30-3.30!
Hina, if you have not received the Welcome pack as yet, then contact TGS. Usually, these packs have loads of forms to be filled and returned before the induction day. Also may have details of the school uniform and arrangements to order it.
hina

Post by hina »

thank you tiffinboys...:-)
wjchoihk

Post by wjchoihk »

Not directly related with the induction day, but does anyone know about some kind of assessments for the new year 7 girls in September? I remember from the April welcome day that there will be some, but don't remember if this will be for all subjects or not. What subjects do they teach in sets? Not going to press my DD for those, but she should be aware.

Thank you for any input.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Hi wjchoihk. My DD is currently in year 7. As in most other schools, they had baseline assessments at the beginning of the year, then they will have had five key assessments in each subject by the end of the year (roughly two per term). They are not set for any academic subjects; they are all already (in theory) the top 5% academically so they all work together in their forms.

They are divided into non-ability based split groups (mixed across the forms) for art, PE etc.

They have twice been assessed for their sports/fitness ability and split correspondingly into three ability groups.

They work hard at school and are provided with a good level of challenge in all subjects. There is a lot of collaborative small group work as well as individual work and longer topic work.They are given a homework timetable and need to be organised about completing tasks on time.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Sorry I realised I contradicted myself about PE! They are in cross-form split groups but then subdivided into A, B and C by sporting/fitness ability, as far as I understand it.

I hope your DD enjoys life at TGS. It's stimulating academically but there is also so much else on offer for them to do - plenty of sport, music, drama and other clubs.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Final addendum - the girls were not told when the baseline assessments were going to be so that the school could assess them accurately without anyone cramming the night before! As far as I remember they were just in English, Maths and Science, and took place in normal lessons.