What do you think the pass mark will be for SET

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiffinboys

Re: What do you think the pass mark will be for SET

Post by tiffinboys »

Combined score is what matters. If she gets high standardized marks in Maths, these would be added to the standardized score in English and the combined total will determine whether cut-off score has been achieved.

Usually, again this may not happen this time, high raw score in Maths does not necessarily mean high standardized score as the average raw scores are usually higher. In English, a relatively average performance, relative to Maths, may give higher standardized score, as I understand. Stand to be corrected.

Wait of couple more days and the result will be known any way. Good Luck to your DC.
nadkha

Post by nadkha »

All replies have been informative. Thank you

I keep checking my email now in case the results arrive early! :roll:
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Suspect it could be tomorrow early evening. Just a guess. :wink:
Darbs

Post by Darbs »

There was a question on Wilson's website asking if my child does better in Maths than English can they still get through and answer was yet they'd be combined - so I personally think they will be combining the results.

Nervous now, will be checking emails every 10 mins until I get it!

Good luck to everyone
htm123

Post by htm123 »

Good news for us this morning from SGS. The number of candidates taking the GS Eligibility test was 4378 according to the email received. 1850 boys and girls invited for the second round. 'Almost half' of 1850 children are girls.
kiddos

Post by kiddos »

Congrats to everyone who made it through. Sadly our DD didn't pass, we are shocked as she is presently at a 5A for maths and 5B for english, went into the exam very confident and came out happy saying she found maths quite easy and english ok. I'd like to ask those out there whose kids have made it through, if they have an idea what levels their children were at??? We thought she was at a good level.

Also any suggestions if we can do anything about it now? Elder DD is presently at Wally's.....
Darbs

Post by Darbs »

Hi

Sorry to hear your dd didn't get through. My son is level 5 (can't remember entirely whether A,B,C off hand but maths is his strongest subject) and a level 4 something (I'm awful I can't remember) - so his English isn't as good. He found the test ok, said Maths he only didn't know 1 and English he found a bit harder but wasn't anywhere near as hard as what we had practiced. Do they give you a mark or any feedback?
kiddos

Post by kiddos »

Thanks for your reply. There is absolutely no feedbak on the scores or pass mark. Don't know what to do because we thought that we were at a very good level???
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

Sorry to hear about your daughter.
Unfortunately, a lot of children of high academic ability do miss out even at this stage since mistakes or nerves can happen to anybody. In addition, many children who sit for these exams are at a similar level and are very well prepared. The cut has to be made somewhere and it is inevitable that some high ability children will narrowly miss out.
You may be able to enquire about remarking the SET just to put your mind at rest that nothing obvious has been missed. This won't generate any feedback - just confirmation that the papers have been looked at again and the final mark falls below the required score.
Otherwise, your only option is to list Wallington (and Nonsuch if you want to) on the CAF knowing that you cannot be offered a place in March but leaving the way open to appeal for a place next summer. It is not possible to appeal for a school that you have not applied to so, if there is any chance you will want to go down the appeal route, you do have to effectively waste one of your options on the preference form when you fill it out for October.
kiddos

Post by kiddos »

Thank you London_Mum for your comments. Do you have any thought on the appeal process in this case - how is it made and on what basis?