Nonsuch exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiffinboys

Re: Nonsuch exams

Post by tiffinboys »

The way selection criteria is described it sounds as if SET would count as 50% as SET itself comprise of 2 papers, having standardised score of 140 each. Add to that, standardised score of Stage 2 papers, again 140 each. So I think that total maximum score would be 560.

Let us know how the scoring is actually done, when the results are declared in few days.

Good Luck and best wishes to every one who sat for the test today.
Gringo64

Post by Gringo64 »

TB,
It says on the Nonsuch web site, "the aggregate scores of the Selective Eligibility Test and the two elements of the Second Stage Entrance Examination in the ratio 1:1:1."
My understanding of this is that the SET counts as only one third of the final. I am hoping I am right about this.
Last edited by Gringo64 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

You are right. If ratio is given then, of course, SET would be 1/3.
Thanks for correcting.
ardmore

Post by ardmore »

Yes, it will be like this:
1/3*(SET scores total in English+Maths)+1/3*Maths Scores in second stage +1/3*English Score in second stage. All the scores will be age normalised first to obtain total score for rank generation purpose.

My DD also found Maths quite hard but was comfortable with English
Ardmore
demitasse

Post by demitasse »

Thanks for your answers. Not sure I explained my question properly. What I'm wondering is whether they will use the standardised score that resulted from the SET (standardised against the whole cohort including all those who failed).

Those who passed the SET had scores in the top 40ish% of the cohort. But if you take the raw scores of those who passed and sat the second stage tests, then create a new standardised score against this cohort, this would by necessity create a group who would be below the average. Am I overthinking this? Probably...

Anyone know what happened with the boys scores last year?
stummyuk

Post by stummyuk »

Will they be declaring the actual scores from both exams for the Nonsuch results?
As I understood it, it was an indicative pass or fail.
CoolParent123

Post by CoolParent123 »

Yes StummyUK. All Sutton Grammar Schools will give a pass or a fail.
I know it is still not indicative as 50% who passed the second stage won't be offered a place in these schools.

I wish they change this process by giving actual marks as it would help parents in filling the CAF more genuinely.
spoon123

Post by spoon123 »

Same here following from previous responses...our DD found Maths hard and English OK.

Agree coolparent will be so much easy if they would give the actual scores rather than just Pass/Fail. I assume there will be no indication on total number either i.e. like the SET outcome where they gave number of boys & girls that appeared and how many of those have made to the second round....
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

demitasse I don't know how Nonsuch will do it, but certainly for Tiffin Girls, when my DD took the two-stage test, they re-standardised the score of the first test using only the cohort of 450 or so who went through to the second stage. The first test counted for 30% of the final score I seem to remember, so the girls all ended up with a new first test score between 0 and 30. A statistician could explain it better I'm sure but that's the gist!