Nonsuch exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

demitasse

Re: Nonsuch exams

Post by demitasse »

Thanks Peridot. That would make sense, although it does therefore mean that the girls who end up below the average for the new cohort of 425 will already have failed on the SET results, assuming it is not just the aggregate score that counts, but that they also need to 'pass' each element. Nonsuch goes by a ratio of 1:1:1 and Wallington Girls 20% SET, 40% maths, 40% English.

Don't they give results in March at least to people who want to go on the waiting list?
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
demitasse

Post by demitasse »

Ok, thanks Ladymuck, hadn't realised that.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Peridot wrote:demitasse I don't know how Nonsuch will do it, but certainly for Tiffin Girls, when my DD took the two-stage test, they re-standardised the score of the first test using only the cohort of 450 or so who went through to the second stage. The first test counted for 30% of the final score I seem to remember, so the girls all ended up with a new first test score between 0 and 30. A statistician could explain it better I'm sure but that's the gist!
From what I remember as was discussed in the threads here, Tiffin Girls did not standardize the stage 1 results for the combined score. As I understand, they used raw score to scale down for 30% weightage. The highest raw score in stage 1 test got 30 marks and the lowest score got 1 mark. Stage 1 scores were standardized only to determine children eligible for stage 2 test only and not for combined score.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

My mistake Tiffinboys; yes, you are right: it was scaling rather than re-standardising. It's the relief of thinking I have no more children to go through this horrible process that's made me forget the details... Anyway of course the Sutton schools may work out the second stage scores completely differently.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Hopefully, I would soon forget about these as well, except Tiffins admission arrangements. :lol:
Womblemania

Post by Womblemania »

Just wondering how many girls will 'pass' the exam?

Is the pass mark determined by the level of ability the school would feel comfortable admitting or is there a pre-determined number that the school will pass? Or maybe a big of both?

Not that it really matters, just getting a bit twitchy waiting now!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

The scores will be ranked and then places will be offered according to the determined criteria. As such, there would be no pass or fail.
Womblemania

Post by Womblemania »

TB - I don't think that's right.

On Monday we're expecting a 'your daughter has passed/failed' email from Nonsuch. A pass doesn't mean that you have a place but it does mean you can put Nonsuch on your CAF. A 'fail' means you cannot get a place.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Sorry, thought the question was about March allocation. Forgot it is about second stage test result. :oops: :oops:

Going by their previous practice, they might just tell the score, unless they have already informed that result will be pass or fail format. Have they?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now