Tiffin Girls School - Stage 1 result - please post here.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Peridot

Re: Tiffin Girls School - Stage 1 result - please post here.

Post by Peridot »

Just to clarify, anyone on 212 will have the lowest raw score of the group going forward to the second stage.

In September 2012 the lowest raw score was 123/160 which was standardised to 219/280. The highest was 157/160 which was standardised (I think) to 280/280.

When these scores were scaled to calculate the final totals after the second stage exam no age standardisation was applied, but they were scaled according to the cohort taking the second stage exam.

So a raw score of 123/160 was 219/280 in the first round but became 1/30 in the second round.

To give you an example my daughter's raw verbal/non-verbal score in 2012 was 149/160 which became 262/280 in the first round and 23.18/30 in the second round. You can see it's not a simple percentage but a scaled score dependent on the distribution of scores (is that the correct term?) in the cohort who qualified for the second stage.

I hope this helps! It's certainly very confusing for anyone who hasn't been through it before...

Peridot x
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

That is assuming they use the same scaling method of course...
admission_seeker

Post by admission_seeker »

Is there a "formula" to roughly estimate the potential "raw score" based on the "standardised" score?
admission_seeker

Post by admission_seeker »

I thought, wrongly, that standardisation was entirely based on "age", logically thinking, that a child born in September naturally had an unfair advantage over the one born in August.
It appears that is not the case.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Peridot has explained it very well. But just one very minor matter.

September child (for example) may have achieved raw score of 135 and standardized score of 212.
July child may have got raw score of 132 but same standardized score of 212.

For 2nd stage combined score, TGS ignores standardization and use linear scaling based on raw score alone, giving 30 marks to highest total raw score in NVR/VR and 1 mark to lowest total raw score and plotting other scores in between on linear scale. Last years threads have few workings.

Hopefully, once 2nd stage scores are issued, this will be lot clearer.
indian-mum

Post by indian-mum »

DD got 209 :( but anyway we are out of catchment
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

No admission_seeker I don't think so - it would be guesswork as presumably we don't know anyone's raw score. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone who has the email...

Really it doesn't matter at this stage as, if your DD has qualified for the second stage, scores are irrelevant until she has taken the Maths and English tests and all the marks are scaled and added together. The most important thing is to use the time left available to hone her English and Maths skills!

Also I don't really understand standardisation fully but there are proper explanations on this forum somewhere.. (anyone know where?).

The first stage was standardized and the second stage scaled when my daughter took the exam, that's all I know!
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

tiffinboys wrote:Peridot has explained it very well. But just one very minor matter.

September child (for example) may have achieved raw score of 135 and standardized score of 212.
July child may have got raw score of 132 but same standardized score of 212.

For 2nd stage combined score, TGS ignores standardization and use linear scaling based on raw score alone, giving 30 marks to highest total raw score in NVR/VR and 1 mark to lowest total raw score and plotting other scores in between on linear scale. Last years threads have few workings.

Hopefully, once 2nd stage scores are issued, this will be lot clearer.
Yes, forgot about age standardisation TB, sorry.

Ooh my brain hurts now...
ElevenPlusWizard

Post by ElevenPlusWizard »

Peridot wrote:Just to clarify, anyone on 212 will have the lowest raw score of the group going forward to the second stage.

In September 2012 the lowest raw score was 123/160 which was standardised to 219/280. The highest was 157/160 which was standardised (I think) to 280/280.

When these scores were scaled to calculate the final totals after the second stage exam no age standardisation was applied, but they were scaled according to the cohort taking the second stage exam.

So a raw score of 123/160 was 219/280 in the first round but became 1/30 in the second round.

To give you an example my daughter's raw verbal/non-verbal score in 2012 was 149/160 which became 262/280 in the first round and 23.18/30 in the second round. You can see it's not a simple percentage but a scaled score dependent on the distribution of scores (is that the correct term?) in the cohort who qualified for the second stage.

I hope this helps! It's certainly very confusing for anyone who hasn't been through it before...

Peridot x
Peridot, does that mean, a score of 212 in the first round will be considered as 1/30 while doing the final calculation?
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Yes, if it's done in the same way as in 2012. As Tiffinboys has reminded me though, the scores you all have now are standardized, and it's the raw score they will scale rather than the standardized score.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now