Sutton Success Stories - NS : WG : WCGS : Wilson's : SGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
stummyuk

Re: Sutton Success Stories - NS : WG : WCGS : Wilson's : SGS

Post by stummyuk »

2014 - DD passed WCGS and NS
(1). Primary School Contribution, Did the primary school contributed? No. DD attends a state school.

(2). When and in which year you have started working with your child to achieve 11+ Success? Year 5 after October half term.

(3). How you have worked on your DS/DD weaknesses and how you motivated them? Lots of

(4). How many hours of preparation per week in Year 4 and Year? No prep in Year 4.

(5). Any specific approach on First Stage (Objective Type) and Second Stage Test (Subject or Topics etc.)
I believe
(6). Tutored Yes / No - Yes

(7). Anything else that you think has helped your child to Succeed
flumper

Post by flumper »

DD passed Nonsuch and WG but possibly only by narrow margin..

She is at state school, others may have better, we are unlucky in that they basically ignore 11+ - they almost pretend it doesn't exist. It is enormously frustrating.

Therefore, for any parent of state school children, my main piece of advice would be to not underestimate how much parental input, tears and sweat it will take to get past even the first post, let alone the second. Even if your DD is in the top group/ top table of all subjects, as mine is..counts for little when you are up against hundreds of prep/ private school children.

This sounds very chippy. Let me qualify by saying we honestly didn't think being at a state school would put her at such a disadvantage, in hindsight we underestimated the head start that smaller classes and more focus that prep school might have given her - anyway, she still passed, but if i had my time again i would have ditched the weekly out of school group tuition and instead implemented weekly regime of test papers, at home, particularly the indie school test papers, extended comp, creative writing, etc, much MUCH earlier.

Group tutoring helped her general schoolwork and she is on course for high L5 in english/maths but there were still many areas, particularly in creative writing and extended maths, that they hadn't touched at all - even on 1.5hrs/2hrs a week extr in yr 5, and a LOT of extra tuition in yr 6. You just won't even get to that stage in state school, despite what the Heads tell you at the open day.

Just my input for those state schooled who are about to embark on a "campaign"...

Sorry i didn't put this in headings.. :D
cdcdcd

Post by cdcdcd »

Mine passed wally, nonsuch and tiffin 1st exam.

(1). Primary School Contribution, Did the primary school contributed? If yes, how?

As far as I am aware there was not much. It's a state school.

(2). When and in which year you have started working with your child to achieve 11+ Success?
I should say yr 5 autumn term for the 11+ specifically, but she did regular work since yr 3 with me.

(3). How you have worked on your DS/DD weaknesses and how you motivated them?

I had analysed her weakness in maths(thanks to great advice from this forum) during the summer holiday and worked on it quite a bit by giving her related topic questions.

(4). How many hours of preparation per week in Year 4 and Year?

Normally one hour a day during the week plus going through wrong answers with me for 10- 20 minutes.
During the summer holiday, 2 hours a day on average apart from weekends and family outings.

(5). Any specific approach on First Stage (Objective Type) and Second Stage Test (Subject or Topics etc.)
She did the books we could get from the bookshops until summer and did test papers during the summer holiday + some private school papers which she didn't do particularly well. After the 1st exam, she has been just slacking about doing odd bond papers here and there.

(6). Tutored Yes / No - This is an Optional Question : Please don’t give any Tutor details

No, she was tutored by me mainly for maths and some by my husband for english over summer.

1. Mock tests: since sgs mocks, she started to really want to do 11+.

2. She reads a lot normally and there is not much of screen time at home apart from documentaries, especially about nature, animals and travels.

3. She has been working at home for 30- 40 minutes everyday during the week since yr3 as her school homework is near to none.

4. We, as a family, travel a lot in and ouside the UK which, I think, gives her broad view of the world and nature.

5. Writing travel diary whenever we go abroad might have given her writing practice, though it hasn't been the best writings, in terms of structure and spag side of it. Her school writing level is still not quite level 5 yet, but I think she might have more of imaginative ideas, rather than ticking the boxes for giving her good grades.
She got high 330s(IC) for nonsuch and she found the maths test really tough as maths is her weakness anyway(well, she is on level 5s on maths and english reading.. I might be hugely prejudiced somehow). So hopefully she did reasonably well on the writing exam, which she said she had a lot of ideas to write about and tried her best to use descriptive sentences.

6. We were all quite surprised to see her pass the tiffin 1st exam as she didn't prepare hard enough, I thought. Though she did monthly VR and NVR papers from yr 4 and did weekly practice during the summer, she only got 70- 80% on average on gl.

7. The last parent consultation was an eye opening for us that her new teacher acknowledged her potential, not just academically but her other qualities that other teachers never noticed before. So we are hugely thankful to see her potential might have got her through the 11+ process rather than just the end product of cramming for exams.

8. Advice for future 11+ parents...?

Take them out to parks and forests to let them make mistakes to learn from them.
Biggiesmall

Post by Biggiesmall »

Flumper I agree. My son is also at a state school where 11+ is ignored. Due to our family circumstances we couldn't start tutoring until May this year. Not sure if it will be enough given the volumes of heavily tutored prep school kids he's up against but proud that he got this far.
pepys74a

Post by pepys74a »

DS passed Wallington and Tiffin still to sit Sutton, did not sit Wilsons

(1). Primary School Contribution, Did the primary school contributed? If yes, how?
No, our school does not prepare for 11+

(2). When and in which year you have started working with your child to achieve 11+ Success?
Working two 30mins sessions each day for the month of August

Set more practice questions, lots of playdates and sleepovers

(4). How many hours of preparation per week in Year 4 and Year 5?
None

He worked through AE tuition books for maths and the reasonings, and FPTP for comprehensions and cloze.

(6). Tutored Yes / No - This is an Optional Question : Please don’t give any Tutor details
No

He enjoys learning, has an insatiable appetite for unusual vocabulary and has always loved puzzle books (spot the difference, mazes etc from the age of 2) so NVR was a game to him.
Nara

Post by Nara »

My daughter passed Wallington and Nonsuch. We didn't sit Tiffins

No, our school does not prepare for 11+

In mid year 4

(4). How many hours of preparation per week in Year 4 and Year 5?
Year 4 - 30 min a day, in year 5 - 1-2 hours a day, but there were some days when was no study and we've traveled a lot

Tutor helped with this.

Yes

The earlier you start is better I think. But my daughter only realised that she want these schools in August, one month before first exam. All the time before she was thinking she was doing this for me.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Having picked up lots of tips as a long term lurker I thought I would reply to this in case it is useful to anyone else.
My dd passed Wallington and Nonsuch. We didn't consider Tiffin due to distance.
1. Dd is at a good primary but there was no specific help given or advice.
2.Dd is stronger in English so in year 4 I used to check her maths books when they came home for homework and made up examples of anything she had got wrong.
3. In year 5 we probably did 2-3 hours a week but there were several weeks when we did nothing at all.
4. We almost did no English prep because I felt she was okay on that. We did 8 gl/nfer maths papers for timing. Mainly in maths we just did frequent practice of things she found tricky. It was really interesting when I went through things it was always the same type of questions. For us that was the perimeter and area of irregular shapes, anything involving time and also fractions.
5 I did do a Cloze book ( green cover) but not sure what it was as I ceremoniously got rid of everything!.
6. We did both Sutton Grammar mocks .
7. The most useful thing we did over the summer was 4 other mock tests. Only one part 2 type the rest were SET type. On one of these my dd made a tracking error on the McQ answer sheet. It was very obvious when the paper came back.
This altered her score from what would have been 96% to 74%. It was so useful for her to see how that had happened and she was really focused on not doing it in the real thing.
The mocks we did were at different places as I thought it was a good idea to get used to going somewhere unfamiliar. We didn't do them to highlight strengths and weaknesses just for technique.
8. The only other thing I would add is sadly no one from DDs primary passed the SET without preparing. Of those that got through very few passed both second stages. Several certainly seem to be more able than my dd but I don't think their parents knew enough about the exam to help them.Lots had never seen a Cloze before the SET.
newdud

Post by newdud »

My DS passed the second test for WS, WCGS and waiting to site the SGS in Nov 15

Yes, the std school curricula is what these school test on now, so their normal mode of teaching was invaluable. Specifically the SPaG tests
From early on in Year 4
Hmm ... lots of incentives and threats of revoking privileges. Any one thinking of getting the DS or DD to take the exam should think hard about weather they are able to do this ... as in are they bright and more importantly do they want to do the extra work.
(4). How many hours of preparation per week in Year 4 and Year?
Around 4-6 hr per week.
Lots of story writing and practice BOND books. When DS went on day out / trips / cinema , came back home and wrote Story / Eassy about these activities.
Yes, but I think it was more due to pressure from other as in other parents are doing it ! I am not at all sure it made a significant effect. There is no substituent for one of the parents working with the child. I know of a parent that spent a HUGE some of money on private one2one and group tutors but the DD failed the first stage test.
The 3 GS in Sutton are 'super selective' so do not underestimate the pressure that it will put on Child.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Success999

Post by Success999 »

Thank you ladymuck, your post was really helpful. My ds is in year 5. We are looking for a tutor but all reputed ones are fully booked and we are on waiting list. By that time we are trying diy. My ds is very strong in maths but in English we are really struggling. We are not sure which topics to cover in grammar. We will really appreciate if you could help us in that. Thanks you.