Tiffin Boys - Entrance Test Change for 2016

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
YoungSuccess

Tiffin Boys - Entrance Test Change for 2016

Post by YoungSuccess »

So I heard from the grapevine that TS will be changing it's entrance test for next year, anyone has more details? I only heard that the "NVR is being dropped " but not sure if it means TS is adopting / joining the Sutton consortium. Anyone heard more?
catcool

Re: Tiffin Boys - Entrance Test Change for 2016

Post by catcool »

From their website:

"Testing (October 2015) for entry to Year 7 in September 2016
Tiffin School’s proposed Admissions Policy for entry in September 2016 will be published on the school website at the beginning of December 2014, for consultation.

However, as the School proposes to change the method of testing, the Governors wish to give prior notice of this.

The proposal is that there will be a first stage of testing, which will comprise English and Maths multiple choice questions.

For those invited to the second stage of testing, there will be written exam papers in Maths and English.

The English and Maths questions will be designed to reflect the primary school curriculum and be of a standard that will be appropriate to determine admission to the School.

Further details will be available in December 2014, when the proposed Admissions Policy for entry in September 2016 is published for consultation on this website.
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

catcool wrote:From their website:

"Testing (October 2015) for entry to Year 7 in September 2016
Tiffin School’s proposed Admissions Policy for entry in September 2016 will be published on the school website at the beginning of December 2014, for consultation.

However, as the School proposes to change the method of testing, the Governors wish to give prior notice of this.

The proposal is that there will be a first stage of testing, which will comprise English and Maths multiple choice questions.

For those invited to the second stage of testing, there will be written exam papers in Maths and English.

The English and Maths questions will be designed to reflect the primary school curriculum and be of a standard that will be appropriate to determine admission to the School.

Further details will be available in December 2014, when the proposed Admissions Policy for entry in September 2016 is published for consultation on this website.
Ah, thanks CC! Having almost finished the campaign (until my next one that is), I have not kept up to date and didn't check their website. Looks like they are moving towards the Suttons consortium way.
Last edited by YoungSuccess on Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
htm123

Post by htm123 »

At last! So glad to hear they are finally moving in the right direction... a bit late for us unfortunately.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

htm123 wrote:At last! So glad to hear they are finally moving in the right direction...
+1

Also hope that TS doesn't follow the bad practice of second stage test after CAF deadline.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

I wonder if Tiffin Girls' will also follow suit with what it appears the boys' school is doing and change the verbal/non-verbal first stage test to English and Maths. It would make a lot of sense as currently the two schools both use the same first test.
dumbdad

Post by dumbdad »

Gutted. Was hoping they would move to 100% codes in NVR and VR next year. [Edited by moderator] :)
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

dumbdad wrote:Gutted. Was hoping they would move to 100% codes in NVR and VR next year. [Edited by moderator] :)
:lol:

My DS was so pleased - he used to moan "what's the use of memorising these letter sequence and codes anyway, it's not like it will prove a child is cleverer or useful for my future job or business..." :lol:
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Peridot wrote:I wonder if Tiffin Girls' will also follow suit with what it appears the boys' school is doing and change the verbal/non-verbal first stage test to English and Maths.
TGS had given some indication of change being considered, in the FAQs attached to their last (aborted ?) consultation. Possibly both schools are moving in the same direction. Grapevine seems to agree to that. We just have to wait few more weeks to see the full proposed admission arrangements.
Surbitonite

Post by Surbitonite »

I wonder what affect these changes would have on the tutors who have built their careers/reputation on the current system?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now