Good luck for September new school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sobey

Good luck for September new school

Post by Sobey »

Hi all - beta of luck for your dc starting secondary acho his September and best of luck to all those going through what we did last summer !! Oh gosh ! Just wondering sis anybody's DS make Tiffin boys at 230? Let me know.
J50

Re: Good luck for September new school

Post by J50 »

Sobey wrote:Hi all - beta of luck for your dc starting secondary acho his September and best of luck to all those going through what we did last summer !! Oh gosh ! Just wondering sis anybody's DS make Tiffin boys at 230? Let me know.
I'm lost... :?:
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I imagine typed on a small smartphone keyboard - I can make similar mistakes if I don't read it through before posting. My interpretation:

Hi all - best of luck for your dc starting secondary school this September and best of luck to all those going through what we did last summer!! oh gosh! just wondering if anybody's DS made Tiffin boys on a score of 230? Let me know.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

+1

To OP: Best wishes to your DS too. Surely, he will have a great time at his grammar.
hina

Post by hina »

Hello All
Daughter had fab first day at TGS yesterday....glad all went well,
Sobey

Post by Sobey »

Hi all. Hope dc are settling into new grammars. My DS is doing so. However just discovered that Tiffin Boys have let a boy in at 230!!!' Shocked and appalled because going by last years result they would have had to let my boy in as all on the cut off must get in. Or going by the current rule he would have made it due to the 180 boys. Terrible as the 2014 rule did not allow him to make it. However the kind admissions lady has said he will be eligible to apply for a ave each yeta of a vacancy arrives as he made the cut off. I am not at all bothered as my DS ia at a equally good grammar down the road from home. It's the principle that has shocked me and I have put it on writing to the head mistress and head chair of governors and now await response...
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

It is also quite appalling for a young child to be sent on a horribly long journey to Kingston from Slough, leaving a place at 'equally good grammar down the road from home'. :wink:

Best wishes to your DS and am sure that he will enjoy his local grammar and would have time to do study and lot of other activities; time which he would have otherwise wasted in travelling.
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

I am not sure why you are shocked - although I do understand a degree of upset if it was a school you wanted and narrowly missed out.

There has to be a cut-off and admitting all boys on an identical score was not part of the decision process this year. Admissions criteria changes are consulted on and published well in advance but I do appreciate most parents don't realise their own child might be one that falls between the cracks of a qualifying score and a place. Parents will know though how places are to be allocated. The changes brought Tiffins in line with many other schools in that children on an identical score will be split into those who will and those who will not get an offer with the final qualifying mark. I suspect the response will be that the school followed the letter of the admissions criteria as they are obliged to do.

Your son has a place at a grammar school and is settling in well. Those are both very positive outcomes.
J50

Post by J50 »

Last two posts have it spot on. Ridiculous to send a child on a long commute, it will be bad enough where we live and we're not that far away and it's one bus journey! And they changed the method of entry for a reason, to give some degree of priority to those living within a certain distance (though they should halve that distance but that's another story), so don't see how anyone can complain by comparing today's criteria with previous years! Why complain in the first place, what are you hoping to achieve?
Sobey

Post by Sobey »

Hi all- lovely parents! Happy new year. Hope dc are doing well and settled at new schools. Guess what!! Tiffin Boys just offered son a place today! Can't believe it. They have given us a few days to decide...