Tiffin Girls School - 2015 allocation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Peridot

Re: Tiffin Girls School - 2015 allocation

Post by Peridot »

This is what Mummy75 posted in March 2013 (the thread is called Tiffin Entrance Test Results and it's on page 12) It's the reply she got from TGS when she emailed them to try to understand the way the marks were scaled (it was the first year of the second stage test and none of us knew what was going to happen).

It gives details of the maximum and minimum score for each section that year. The data isn't formatted as a table but it's perfectly possible to work it out. I can't find anything from 2014. It would be interesting to see what the equivalent data is this year. I can see already that Strontium's daughter's English scores are higher than the English scores in 2013. Different mark scheme maybe? Well done again though mini Strontium for such great scores.
Peridot

QUOTE:

How were raw marks converted to scaled marks?

The 4 different sections of the Final Mark add up to 100.

The VR and NVR tests are worth a maximum of 30 out of 100 (i.e. 30%) of the Final Mark; the Maths test is worth a maximum of 20 out of 100 (i.e. 20%); the Reading test is worth a maximum of 30 out of 100 (i.e. 30%) and the Writing test is worth a maximum of 20 out of 100 (i.e. 20%). Thus, the Stage 1 test (the NVR/VR tests) is worth 30% of the Final Mark, and the Stage 2 tests (the Maths, Reading and Writing tests) are worth 70% of the Final Mark.

The range of marks awarded varied between tests. The highest raw mark awarded on the Reading test (42/60 = 70%) is lower than the highest raw mark awarded on the Maths test (50/50 = 100%) as detailed in the table below. The raw marks were therefore converted to a scaled mark in order to level this difference. Scaling marks ensures fairness between the different sections and a contribution towards the Final Mark in the given proportions (30:20:30:20).

In order to scale, an applicant’s raw mark in a section is converted to a mark out of the maximum available for that section. This means that the applicant obtaining the highest raw mark in a section was given the maximum scaled mark for that section, and the applicant obtaining the lowest raw mark in a section was given the minimum scaled mark for that section. The table below gives the lowest and highest raw marks for each section and their equivalent converted scaled mark:

Raw Scores

in each section

Out of
Lowest
Highest

Out of
Minimum
Maximum

Reading

Writing

Maths

VR/NVR

Was an applicant’s VR/NVR raw mark or VR/NVR standardised mark used in the calculation of their VR/NVR scaled mark?

Applicants’ raw marks in the VR/NVR tests were used to calculate the scaled VR/NVR mark that is included in the Final Mark. This is because the standardised VR/NVR mark from the Stage 1 test was based on the range of marks from all 1,626 applicants who sat the Stage 1 test. By using the raw marks of only the applicants who sat the Stage 2 test, we ensure a range for scaling that is calculated on the same basis as the other sections contributing to the Final Mark.

Was an applicant’s Final Mark age weighted?

The marks were not age weighted. An analysis of the Final Mark showed that there was no correlation between age and outcome, therefore the marks were not age weighted.

END QUOTE
titsybitsy

Post by titsybitsy »

1) TGS offer on 02/03/2015: Yes
2) Is TGH your first choice school? Yes
2) Scores:
Stage 1: raw 138 out of 160, scaled 19.94 out of 30. Stage 2 (individual component scores) maths 37 out of 50, scaled to 14 out of 20; reading 21.5 of 30, scaled 19.28 out of 30; writing 15 out of 20, scaled to 14.06 out of 20. and Final score 67.28 out of 100.
3) Cut off score for DD ranked 150 - 54.27
4) First part of your post code (ie KT1 etc.). This is just to see what is the distribution of where the 150 DDs are from.
KT5

Thanks to all in this forum for the valuable inputs. This forum certainly helped us with the preparation.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Hello

We were disappointed not to be offered our first choice TGS and we are KT1 postcode. Many tears and emotions last night.

Our DD scored 54.21 out of 100.

I tried calling admissions to see where she is on the wait list but they can't say until April.

Do you think we have any chance? Its very sad to be so close and yet so far.

Thank you
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Matrix that sounds incredibly close. I imagine you must be very near the top of the waiting list. I'm sure in my daughter's year (2013 entry) the waiting list moved by at least one whole number so I think you have a good chance.

Do ring admissions again in a few days and they may be able to tell you your position on the list. They will be inundated today.

Does anyone have any more useful data about how far the waiting list moved last year or the year before?
hina

Post by hina »

my friend's daughter was 7th in the queue and still is, so don't think it moved much :-(
SGSMumof2

Post by SGSMumof2 »

Matrix your DD is bound to get in - people will reject Tiffin Girls as their first choice as other factors come into play.
There have already been a few posts stating DD offered Tiffin Girls but they are declining to go to an independent school. The waiting list will move. I know of a girl who joined after term started - this has had no impact on her at all. fingers crossed for you - i'm sure your DD will be there in September. Good luck
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Hina do you know what your friend's daughter's score was compared to the lowest score offered on allocations day? That might help matrix have some idea too.
hina

Post by hina »

her score was 53.6? i can double check tonight...
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Thanks hina. According to tabasco initial cut-offs for last three years were/are:

2015 54.27
2014 53.66
2013 49.78

Fingers crossed for you, matrix.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Thank you for your comments - it's like a roller coaster ride
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now