What is WHSG like?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Chaddie

What is WHSG like?

Post by Chaddie »

I've seen alot of these 'What is X School like?', so I've decided to do one for WHSG. DD got offered a place, and accepted. I'd like to hear opinions of all kinds, good and bad. Thank you for answering<3
newdud

Re: What is WHSG like?

Post by newdud »

Looks like all the parents of DD at WHSG have gone AOL :lol:
Bestmumintheworld

Post by Bestmumintheworld »

Wallington High School for Girls is a wonderful school. I have two daughters who attend, year 11 and 9. They always come home with interesting news of what has happened that day.

I have asked them to help me reply to this post, as obviously other Wally Girls parents are a bit on the shy side, since no one else has replied so far!

They are both keen to help me out with information.

The girls are put into houses at Wally Girls, which have the names of prominent women in History, such as Bronte and Athena. They then stay in the same house from year 7 to 11.

They start off with two languages in year 7. Two from French, German and Spanish. Latin and Japanese are available for GCSE as an additional subjects after school.

The girls have lots of lunch clubs and afters clubs available to them, and loads of girls attend these, especially since the time tabled school day end at 2:50. School starts at 8.25. Sports is very strong there and they win lots of awards every year, which the head teacher loves to share in the newsletters each week.

The girls are expected to work hard, which is obviously to be expected at a Grammar School. The teachers are generally very good and inspire the girls to do their best.

The induction day in July is excellent for ridding the girls of any nerves they may have, not to mention the Parents. They come away knowing who their form tutor and class mates will be and also a photograph of the whole class.

The last two years have had spectacular musicals, which were really enjoyable,with live music, for all the budding actresses and singers in the school.

What more can I say, except my daughters are proud to go to WHSG and would recommend it to all girls, who are willing to work hard and have fun too.
Appollo99

Post by Appollo99 »

Hello Bestmumintheworld and Chaddie

Great post Bestmumintheworld. We don't get many posts from WHSG parents. What did newdud mean by AOL? I wonder if it was supposed to be AWOL. Cheeky. :evil: I too have daughters in year 11 and 8. They too are doing well and like it at WHSG. I love the communication between the school and parents. They keep us informed of everything that is going on and the progress your child is making. My year 8 daughter complains about the many tests, but it sounds good to me. Keeps them on their toes.

The new head who has been there a couple of years has made changes that have improved the school and is moving it forward.
There is a new PTA started recently and they are holding a quiz night soon. I plan to attend and am just getting my team together. It is a friendly school with bright, witty and polite girls. A few years back an old lady rang the school to say thanks to one of the girls who helped her pull her shopping trolley all the way home after she got off a bus on a cold icy day. That is just the kind of behaviour that WHSG instills in their girls.
[color=#FF40BF][/color]Appollo99
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Thanks Bestmumintheworld and Appollo99 that is really helpful. Makes me feel very lucky that my daughter has a place there for Sept.She is desperate for the pack to arrive so she has some more info about the school.Thank you for taking the time to post. Much appreciated.
Chaddie

Post by Chaddie »

Thank you for responsing, will pass on to nervous DD :oops:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now