Wilson 2015 Intake

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MaeMobley

Re: Wilson 2015 Intake

Post by MaeMobley »

Thank you coolparent123. Would you mind explaining about the Year 7 free music?
CoolParent123

Post by CoolParent123 »

The School recently started Free music to Year 7 Students.
They will be given a instrument which they can take home and no need to pay for their weekly free music classes too.
At the end of Year 7, they need to return the instrument if they don't Intend to continue the paid lessons from Year 8 onwards. My guess, Majority will continue their lessons.
If students have prior music learning, they can choose the same instrument else, the school may suggest an instrument to pupil to create a balanced learning.
Last edited by CoolParent123 on Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaeMobley

Post by MaeMobley »

Thanks! I did not know that.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Might be wrong about this but my son does loads of music at Wilson's and the info he has gleaned is that the head of music isn't going. The department has become so big they need another pair of hands and Mr R doesn't want the job. Too much admin we heard.
The senior orchestra were involved in interviewing the four short listed candidates last week.They each got 45 mins with the orchestra . One was from Tiffin and another St Olaves.
Music at Wilson's is absolutely brilliant. You get the years free lessons in year seven. If you already play an instrument it has to be something different. If you do two things then it's suggested you do singing as three lots of practice is felt to be a bit much.
My son loves Wilson's. Homework not arduous at all. I know of no one who is coached in any subject.
They do gets lots of assessments . Doesn't seem to bother any boys I know.The SLT are very much in evidence. Emails are returned promptly. Can't fault anything. Think the boys feel lucky.
CoolParent123

Post by CoolParent123 »

I might be wrong Moon Unit. These could be Gossips too.
I will be more happy than anyone else if Head of Music stays back at Wilson's.
Yes. My DS calls the Wilson's as a Music School.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Hi Coolparent123
My son checked yesterday with Mr R himself! ( that's how keen he is for him to stay).
He is taking on a role that from what I can gather is to do with CPD for existing teachers and supporting NQTs.He will be teaching one GCSE class next year not both.
Our boys are so lucky to have him as a teacher.
newdud

Post by newdud »

We have been told to go to a parent evening on 6th July and DS to attend Induction day on Wed 8th July.

Can any existing parent shed any light on the format of these two today, the letter does not provide any details :?: .

Judging by the Organization of the Open Evening and the 2nd stage Exams , I am sure it will be well Organized, but some Information before hand would help :D .
CoolParent123

Post by CoolParent123 »

Just Relax Newdud. It will be fun.
The Head will talk to Parents about the History of the school. School policies etc. and what does it mean to your child. Also, based on the post code you live in, your child will be grouped with other children to familiarise with each other. To enable them to Plan travelling to school Together, sharing contact numbers etc.
At the end of the session, you need to fill in a form about Child's interest in a Music Intrument for Free and Paid Classes.

The Induction day for the child is more for him kind of. An hour or so classroom session introducing the Director of KS3, Introduction to form tutor, planned school activities for a typical Year 7. Making them to learn an hour of computer class. More of sports etc .. It will be an informal session but very interesting to them.

Good Luck.
kuku123

Post by kuku123 »

Can anyone advise how the waiting list will move? We have put our son on waiting list for Wilson. Few children will move to Independent schools, so for eg 15 out of 150. So in that case only 15 seats will be available for the children on waiting list. In the previous years how many children have been selected on waiting list? Any idea??
CoolParent123

Post by CoolParent123 »

Now the Wilson's intake has increased to 180 from previous year.
Last year student who was offered a final vacant place was in Wait List 22.

Yes, some children prefer to leave to other schools including independent.
As Wilson's being an open selective grammar school with no catchment, many children from London will appear too. Last year few pupil who were offered in QE barnet and Tiffin's wait list later moved from Wilson's due to geographical reasons.

If you speak to Admissions department, Historically, the wait list movement is relatively slow unlike other Grammar Schools wherein 30-35 places were offered.
My belief is those who are firm in their decision will put Wilson's higher up the CAF list.

There are atleast 30 boys in current Y7 who are from Independent Junior Schools who have put Wilson's over Independent High Schools. So it is either way.

However, please be optimistic, the wait list could behave just similar to last year.

Good Luck