Nonsuch or Wallington ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Polina

Nonsuch or Wallington ?

Post by Polina »

We got an offer at Nonsuch which was our first choise (as we heard it is a "better" school), but Wallington for Girls is much much closer to us, almost at the doorstep. Would you prefer Wallington in this case?
Please give all available reasons/arguments. We have to make a decision now
tiffinboys

Re: Nonsuch or Wallington ?

Post by tiffinboys »

Both are good schools. Shorter travel would be a good reason to choose Wally Girls.
Gringo64

Post by Gringo64 »

We also live 5 minutes from Wallington, but we have Nonsuch, our first choice school. I let my girls choose and they both wanted to put Nonsuch as first preference. I keep thinking we must be mad travelling all that way. Also, I have noticed that Wallington finish as 2.45 and Nonsuch at 3.20, so my girls would be home an hour earlier in the evening if they chose Wallington. We are sticking with Nonsuch though. I really like the school, though can't give any logical reason for the preference.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

We've opted for Wallington. We are slightly closer to Wally girls but both are easy journeys.My DDs score meant she would have got a place at Nonsuch too.
I let my dd decide. We did both open days two years running and friends took my dd to school events at both which helped her make her mind up.The deciding factor for her was the canteen at Wallington!
My impression is that Wallington was harder to pass than Nonsuch this year.Amongst my DDs friends one or two passed both, several passed second stage Nonsuch that didn't pass Wallington and got Nonsuch places. None passed only Wallington.
I'm sure they are both great schools and the girls will do well at either.
Polina

Post by Polina »

Gringo64 wrote:We also live 5 minutes from Wallington, but we have Nonsuch, our first choice school. I let my girls choose and they both wanted to put Nonsuch as first preference. I keep thinking we must be mad travelling all that way. Also, I have noticed that Wallington finish as 2.45 and Nonsuch at 3.20, so my girls would be home an hour earlier in the evening if they chose Wallington. We are sticking with Nonsuch though. I really like the school, though can't give any logical reason for the preference.
How your girls are going to travel? I'm thinking taking a train from Wallington to Cheam, what's your thoughts, is there a better journey do you think?
I was looking at tables of how well academically girls do at GCSE and A-levels, and Nonsuch looked slightly better to me...
Gringo64

Post by Gringo64 »

Train from Wallington to Cheam would be fairly quick I think. We live in between Carshalton High Street and Wallington Station. There is probably a bus that goes from Carshalton High Street to Cheam, but I haven't looked into that yet.
Yes, the results for the school do look really good.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

X26 would be the direct bus from Carshalton HS to Cheam Broadway.

Otherwise, 407 to Sutton and then 213 or 151 to Cheam B as X26 is not very frequent.
Martin_Procter

Post by Martin_Procter »

We had a similar choice to make when filling in our form several year ago (although both would be difficult journeys). I would echo earlier comments about both being good schools.

Wally girls does not have as good a reputation for science in the sixth form as Nonsuch. It is not unusual for Wally Girls to transfer to Wally Boys in year 12 if they want to do science A Levels.

We put Nonsuch above Wally Girls (although it didn't matter in the end as we ended up with a successful higher choice)
spoon123

Post by spoon123 »

We too did a lot of research and study, looked at ofsted reports...league tables and general opinion. Wallington Girls has better pastoral care...infrastructure wise seems Nonsuch are better, having said that last open evening a news sports hall was built in Wallington. Academically Nonsuch on both GCSE and A levels is bit better in ranking but as I see it Wallington has always been in Top 100...

Personally found Wallington's head teacher talk more appealing and well connected, however examination arrangements were much better in Nonsuch.

Finally it came down to ease of travel as we know friends who have daughters in both. Both parents and children are very happy in both schools :-)...

Please Note: These are my personal opinions and in no way I mean to offend any-one :-)...and I could well be wrong...

Good Luck
Ela

Post by Ela »

I have a question regarding Nonsuch languages. Girls study latin and two other foreign languages (spanish, french or german). Girls can't choose languages they want to study. Two from the three are allocated on availability basis. Am I right?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now