MultiAcademy Trust for Nonsuch and Wallington High school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
panicattack

Re: MultiAcademy Trust for Nonsuch and Wallington High schoo

Post by panicattack »

I can see more advantages in this sort of arrangements for say Wilson's/ Wally Girls, WCGS/ Wally Girls and the Tiffin schools which are geographically closer and they could then plan more co-ed activities.

The questions I would raise about the Wallysuch arrangement would be:

1. Will they have co-ordinated catchments?
2. How will 6th form arrangements be affected? Might some girls have to spend time travelling to the other school to take their subject? Would they have to/ be able to move schools if the subjects they wanted were only offered at the other school? Are both schools guaranteed to have 6th forms?
3. Will there be any loss of staff? If so, how will this be affected?
4. What tangible benefits will be seen as a result of the trust?
5. Will the schools still be able to have links /co-operation with other local schools?

Interesting to see that other schools could join the trust too. Any other questions people can think of to be raised at the meeting?
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

I agree Panicattack.
I was surprised that it wasn't a Wally/Wilson's plan. They do quite a bit together already.
My feeling is that there would be some parents who would not be happy with any form of mixed sixth form,although the Wally girls already do music at Wilson's.
The journey between the two schools is not an easy one.
My gut feeling though is it's all been decided already and parental opposition will not make any difference.
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

This is referred to as a "public consultation" but of course, it is not - local residents knew nothing of it until rumours started flying about. It is residents in the surrounding streets who will suffer if this happens, and the last thing we need is yet more traffic between two sites.
As for "increasing pupil numbers," what needs to be done is to stop bringing in pupils from all around - often up to 40 miles - and provide more than the current "ring-fenced" 15% of places for local girls.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Just thinking aloud.............

Current Wally Girls head has worked at Wilson's and Nonsuch for short period before coming to Wally Girls.
She appears to be very ambitious and knows people at all these schools. Is the MAT a simple case for career progression as Exec Head?

One HT of Nonsuch had left suddenly at about the same time as her Deputy left to become Wally Girls head. Her departure is still a mystery. Did she fell out with Governors about her deputy or MAT at the time?

Are three HTs necessary? If each school has one HT, reporting to their local governors who are reporting to MAT, would not that be sufficient? What would be the need of Executive Head? Just another layer of reporting?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

huntlie wrote:This is referred to as a "public consultation" but of course, it is not - local residents knew nothing of it until rumours started flying about.
As Ladymuck pointed out
Ladymuck wrote:It is a done deal - the consultations are a formality.
:roll: :roll:
hina

Post by hina »

http://cheam.mycouncillor.org.uk/2015/0 ... ol-merger/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

tiffinboys wrote: Are three HTs necessary? If each school has one HT, reporting to their local governors who are reporting to MAT, would not that be sufficient? What would be the need of Executive Head? Just another layer of reporting?
It might be easier to view the school heads as deputies. They certainly don't have the full set of responsibilities of a headteacher. Whilst responsibility for teaching and learning is an important one, I do wonder exactly how this will be implemented (eg will the same curriculum be taught, and same exam boards used - ideally so as this will save costs, but who decides?).

A consultation is required, but the board is not obliged to change their mind.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

A consultation is required, but the board is not obliged to change their mind.
That's the point. Why the need for consultation? If responses in consultation are not properly considered, would not local people be able to challange the changes with EFA or who ever is responsible for the Academies?
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

I suspect this is a done deal as there are a lot of specifics set out in the plan. The consultation though may help shape some of the plan so asking questions, particularly in a public forum is useful. I would try to pin down more detail in particular about how the sixth form will operate. Also, try to get them to commit to regular open meetings so parents can continue to contribute to proposals as they evolve.
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

I agree that both schools have the same aspirations. However, they differ vastly in their character, discipline and their teaching methods. If there were cross-teaching the visiting teachers and visiting pupils would find it extremely difficult. I cannot see how they will not try to integrate the practices of the two schools; already there is talk of making a blazer to be part on Nonsuch's uniform; when Mrs Burton came to Wallington, she quickly introduced many of Nonsuch's practices.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now