Wallington and Sutton mock exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ladymuck

Re: Wallington and Sutton mock exams

Post by Ladymuck »

Interesting that they went so close to the real test in terms of the numbers of questions in each paper.

As with Sutton, you need to score high on maths as the average is high (37/50); but it is the English paper which then determines whether you get in or not (average 39.5/70). It would be very difficult to get a maths mark high enough to pull up a weak English result. A shame that there isn't some general feedback on the English. Did candidates struggle to finish the paper?
Starlight14

Post by Starlight14 »

That's worth knowing thank you LM. My DS did finish both but found the maths harder than the papers we had being doing at home, English had a few tricky bits but he scored okay overall. I wonder what score standardised a child would need to aim for this would have been useful.
He said he found Sutton easier, so I'm curious to see test B results now
Goodheart

Post by Goodheart »

Ladymuck wrote:It would be very difficult to get a maths mark high enough to pull up a weak English result.
Quick question... the FAQ for the Selective Eligibility Test says that "It is the total score that determines whether your child has passed the test: so for example, a very good performance in English can compensate for one that is a little weaker in Maths."

Does that mean that they add the raw Maths score to the raw English score, and then standardise? (I note that both Sutton and Wallington mocks standardise Maths and English separately).
crazytime

Post by crazytime »

I am pretty sure they do what the Sutton mocks have done. Each paper separately then add them together. So if the total standardised score required is 216 this could be 108 (st ) in maths and 108 (st ) in English or you could have got 110 (st ) in maths but only 106 (st )in English e.t.c
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now