Tiffin v Wilson v Wallington

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

notaclue

Tiffin v Wilson v Wallington

Post by notaclue »

Just curious about thoughts as to which if these schools entrance exams are considered the hardest i.e. which school is generally hardest to get in? Also very interested in any thoughts as to music provision in these 3 schools e.g. is Tiffin music really better than what us offered at Wilsons. Separately do you know if these schools are considering entering a MAT (multi academy trust) similar to Nonsuch and Wallington MAT.
If you have any thoughts / experience of any if the above I ( and I am sure many others) would be very interested to hear them.

Thanks so much! !!
Moon unit

Re: Tiffin v Wilson v Wallington

Post by Moon unit »

From my experience Wilson's is harder to get into than Wallington. No idea about Tiffin,it was too far away for us.
Music at Wilson's is absolutely brilliant. They have a great head of music appointed about five years ago.The department is expanding in Sept with an extra teacher. Part of the interview was an hour with the orchestra.My son said there were four candidates. One from Tiffin, one from St Olaves and two from other non local grammars. My son thinks the chap from St Olaves got the job but could be wrong about that.
In year seven all boys get free music lessons with an instrument provided by the school.
If you want to hear the brass band they are perform inning at the Hornimum museum bandstand on 7th July during the day. Best to check exact details on the Wilson's website.
There are the usual orchestras, ensembles and choirs. I think what my son likes most is music is a bit of a laugh. Wrong notes and false starts are okay. In his year eight lessons this year they have learnt the ukulele.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

None of these schools is easy to get in. However, Wallington would have just one stage test this year, compared to the other two schools and SuttonGrammar.

Between Tiffin and Wilson's, choose the one nearer to your home. Both are outstanding and both have very strong music departments as well as sports/drama.

About MAT, don't know if any of these schools is up for MAT. However, there is close cooperation between the 2 Wallington Schools (I believe) and Mrs Burton has worked at Wilson's as well.
Last edited by tiffinboys on Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

I think Tiffin will be hardest to get into as first preferences will be split between Sutton, Wilson's and Wallington as they are quite close to each other, while Tiffin is the only boys' grammar in the Kingston area.

Tiffin maybe has the strongest music reputation though perhaps Wilson's underplays this strength a little.
newdud

Post by newdud »

Cannot comment on Tiffin as they have changed the test.
WCGS will not do second stage test.

Wilson 2nd stage tests for English and tends to be comprehension / essay / story writing to the level that would be considered good enough for Level 6 (in old money :lol: )

For maths they tend to require the boys to show the working out not just the answer.

Purely based on WCGS Vs WG more people put WG higher in the list than WCGS, which makes WS harder to get into.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

And just to be clear, hardest exam doesn't mean hardest to get in.....WCGS maths paper was the hardest of all last year though they've now scrapped the second stage all together and relying on Selective Eligibility Test - which is not easy in itself, I think.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now