Help needed - understanding scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
oberoijasleen

Help needed - understanding scores

Post by oberoijasleen »

Hello All,

Back again :(

This time would like to understand a bit more about terms like ....

Raw scores
Standardised scores

My DD will be 10 years 1 month when she gives her exam now in September. What should be her raw scores to get thru the stage one and how will the standard scores calculated.

Breaking my head....pls help

Thanks
Jas
ToadMum

Re: Help needed - understanding scores

Post by ToadMum »

oberoijasleen wrote:Hello All,

Back again :(

This time would like to understand a bit more about terms like ....

Raw scores
Standardised scores

My DD will be 10 years 1 month when she gives her exam now in September. What should be her raw scores to get thru the stage one and how will the standard scores calculated.

Breaking my head....pls help

Thanks
Jas
Whatever the exam is, if standardisation of scores is to be employed then you can't know what raw score will be necessary to achieve a pass.

If the criterion for passing is being in the top however many, then the standardised score which will be the cut-off will depend on the number of candidates (similarly, if a certain standardised score is set as the pass mark, the number passing will be variable).

If age standardisation is used, then your child will be compared with all the others of the same age; all the above will apply to each age band, with the effect that a given standardised score will be 'equal' across all age groups, even though the underlying raw scores may differ (received wisdom is that the younger the sub-cohort, the lower the raw scores will be on average).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx