Tiffin Girls 2016 admission

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

munisha

Tiffin Girls 2016 admission

Post by munisha »

I've just been reading the admissions policy for TGS and don't really understand it. What is the first part of the rule about up to 60 girls? Is it saying essentially that upto 60 girls will be selected from the inner catchment and then the rest will be from the designated catchment?

A few parents have advised me to try TGS for my DD even though we are not in any of the catchment areas as they seem to believe TGS is catchment free. But it doesn't read like this to me. Have the admissions rules changed recently or am I misinterpreting?

Thanks.
Tinkers

Re: Tiffin Girls 2016 admission

Post by Tinkers »

Not an expert on Tiffins myself, but I believe Tiffin grils recent.y brought in a ctachment area. Not heard about an inner ctachment before, but as I said I'm no expert.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Tiffin Girls have a post code based catchment, though it is quite a large catchment. Please check the school's website for full information.

From 2016 intake, school also has an inner admission area, with the proviso that girls must also rank in top 250. As such this, in my opinion, becomes ineffective as the last girl admitted is likely to be ranked over 250 any way.

Any one not in catchment is very unlikely to get a place in Tiffin Girls. None of OOC girls were admitted in last 2 years since the school introduced catchment area.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Sections 5.3 and 5.4 in the admissions document explain the inner area and the designated area. http://www.tiffingirls.kingston.sch.uk/ ... 16-17.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At the bottom of section 5 of the document, an "ADVICE" note states clearly that girls living beyond the [extensive] designated area have "no realistic chance" of being offered a place as long as the school continues to be heavily oversubscribed.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

munisha wrote:I've just been reading the admissions policy for TGS and don't really understand it. What is the first part of the rule about up to 60 girls? Is it saying essentially that upto 60 girls will be selected from the inner catchment and then the rest will be from the designated catchment?
Highest priority is SEN, etc.

Then, section 5.1.2 says TGS will look at the profiles of ALL applicants whose stage two results are in the top 250 and allocate up to 60 spaces to them - of the 180 that will be available in total - using the following order of priority:

(a) Girls who live in the inner area AND qualified for pupil premium funding at the time they registered for the first round test
(b) Girls who live in the inner area (but who weren't eligible for pupil premium funding at the time they registered for round one)
(c) Girls who live in the larger "designated" catchment area AND qualified for pupil premium funding at the time they registered for the first round test

If there were 60 girls in category (a), they could give all of the 60 spaces to them.
If there were let's say 40 girls in category (a), they would have 20 left to allocate to category (b), etc. If only 5 girls qualified in category (b), the remainder of the 20 spots would be available to category (c).

If there aren't 60 girls with that profile in the top 250 round two scores, whatever spaces remain unallocated go back into the general pot.

Start with the total number of spaces [180]
minus highest-priority /SEN spaces [unknown]
minus up to 60 spaces [described with colours already]
and then allocate whatever spaces are left, in order of ranked score in the stage two test, to those who EITHER live in the designated catchment area, OR who live outside the area but have an older sister still at TGS who was on the roll by September 2013 AND whose family hasn't relocated since [unknown number - go read the section about transitional arrangements]

If they run out of applicants - extremely unlikely - they'll look beyond the designated area at looked after children, then finally distance.

At least, that's my understanding of it. It's long, but I hope that's a bit easier to follow?

Edited the structure slightly to clarify the point tiffin boys makes below about 'younger sisters'.
Last edited by Stroller on Thu May 21, 2015 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
munisha

Post by munisha »

thank you, that does make it clearer. also useful to hear that in last 2 years no OOC girls got in. Does this include 2015 allocation or is this not known yet?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Very well elaborated by Stroller. Note, however, that OOC siblings are part of the general pot and don't have priority over other girls in the designated catchment area.

Last 2 years is 2014 & 2015 intakes. 2013 intake had no catchment policy at the time.

Next open day is on 7th July.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

tiffinboys wrote:Note, however, that OOC siblings are part of the general pot and don't have priority over other girls in the designated catchment area.
Good point, thanks tiffinboys. Giving OOC 'younger sisters' their own bulletpoint (as I did originally) could have caused a misleading impression. The younger sisters are now amalgamated in the general high-score-in-stage-two pot along with those who live in the designated area, using an either/or construction to improve clarity.

Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Bumping this to remind families from the inner area (mainly Kingston borough, Ham and the TGS end of Richmond) that they have a modest advantage and should definitely throw their hat into the ring and apply if their daughters are good at school. Your priority is even higher if your family is currently eligible for pupil premium.

tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Definitely the local children should try and give their best to get offer of place at Tiffins. However, one has to be in top 250 to get inner catchment place and I am ready to bet that the last candidate to be offered would rank lower than 250 any way. So there is no advantage as such of this criteria.
Last edited by tiffinboys on Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.