SET results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mp246

Re: SET results

Post by mp246 »

oberoijasleen wrote:Going to ask a stupid question....

My order of preference is say

1. Tiffin girls
2. Nonsuch
3. Wallington girls

Now again....assuming my DD is safely cleared for all three. I would be offered Tiffin's as that was my first choice. What happen that in the course of time (between October and march) we change our mind and want Nonsuch as first choice. If on offer day I reject Tiffin's will I be offered Nonsuch (given that DD has met the eligibility) .....

Thanks
Jas
No you can't change your mind after 31st Oct. It will be very difficult for local authority to allocate different option if every other parent changes his/ her option.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

@jas
In that case, you would accept the TGS place and request Nonsuch to put your dd on their waiting list.

If place is allocated at Nonsuch from wait list, then you accept that and vacate TGS place.

But it is better to think about your preferences now. Ample time till 31 Oct.
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

No you would not be offered Nonsuch if you rejected an offer at Tiffins in March.
You would need to accept the place at Tiffins in order to secure a place at a school and ensure your daughter isn't left without an offer at all but ask to go on the waiting list for Nonsuch. This would not absolutely guarantee a place at Nonsuch but, since waiting lists are held in order of score (where score is a deciding factor for admissions), your daughter would be much nearer the top of the list than many others and is likely to get in that way.

When you fill out the form, it is important to do so as if every grammar school you apply to wants to offer you a place and you are choosing between them. Each child can only receive one offer in March and no places are held back for those who have a change of heart. It will often come good via waiting lists if you do change your mind but that's a lot of stress that could easily be avoided.
oberoijasleen

Post by oberoijasleen »

Thanks everybody for the replies....

Like I said was going to ask a stupid question... I now understand clearly :) What would we parents do if we don't have support like this from our fellow members on this forum.

Thanks and once again waiting for the next stage letters to arrive for Nonsuch and Wallington. Assuming will be receiving the Tiffin's details this week as well.

Thanks
Jas
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

It isn't stupid at all. A lot of parents on this forum research the application and 11+ process more than most but some still get caught out every year by not realising that there is no risk to putting true preferences first even above safe bets that they don't want to jeopardise as a back up plan.
Good luck with all the next stage exams.
Mittleme

Post by Mittleme »

Dilemma

My DD has been given same time to sit exam for 2 schools

Grammar School this Saturday A.M

Normal State school - this Saturday A.M as well- I have called the state school to see if they can change but they have said I have to choose which one I want her to attend. to be honest this is only a backup and probably going to be Nos 4 on the CAF
and we are only applying as 15% they plan to admit based on ability. we ve also been to visit but not impressed but the only thing for me is the schools offsted is OK. in summary, its the only school I can consider out of all state schools APART From Grammar.

even if the Grammar school decides to give her another slot , I really don't want her sitting 2 exams in a day as I think it will be too much as I don't want her exert too much energy on the state school and then by afternoon probably would be tired by then having to then sit the Grammar school test which we are more interested in.

Any advice please lovely people ? I am tempted to forget the state school .
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Do you have a different option if your dd doesn't get a grammar place?would you get in on distance?
Mittleme

Post by Mittleme »

No, we cant get in on distance , the school has about 6 different primaty schools that they automatically admit )
that's the challenge, we can only get in on Ability I think which is the 15% space they have reserved and the exam is a criteria.

in fact all the Grammar schools are OOC. we live in Croydon. and all grammar are in Sutton

All schools that we have chosen are based on ability.
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

It might be unwise to include only schools that admit by ability on your CAF.
Hopefully your DD will pass every exam and get allocated one of your top preferences but sometimes applicant numbers are high or DD may have a bad test day. You can't necessarily rely on gaining entry to a school with competitive, selective admissions criteria.

The advice is to always include one school that you are reasonably certain of meeting the criteria for even if you put it in 6th place. That usually means your local comprehensive school.
That way, if the worst happens and DD gets no grammar school offers, she will at least be given a place at the local school.
If you don't list the local school and it is has no vacancies in March, the council has to allocate you another school with spare places that won't have been on your list at all. The ones with spare places left in March tend to be the least popular schools so this is the risk for people who only list selective schools.
Last edited by loopylou on Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

You ideally need to choose one school that you can be certain of, though I know that that is a challenge in Croydon with most schools selecting on feeders, faith or by other means. There are some very large black holes in Croydon where you can't get a place on distance. It is a tricky one, though at least you are over the SET hurdle. Otherwise you end up with Oasis/Meridian.

I would sit the grammar tbh.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now