Tiffin second stage

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
allu

Tiffin second stage

Post by allu »

Hi,

My DD sat Tiffin 1st stage yesterday, fingers crossed and hoping that she makes it to the next stage.

Can anyone please advise what to expect at the next stage? How was Tiffin 2nd stage paper last year? My DD found the maths paper difficult yesterday, so guess the 2nd stage will be tougher.

Please advise on how / what to prepare now.

Thanks,

Hi

A gentle reminder to everyone not to discuss any aspect of test content unless a moderator has given permission.

• 13. "Can I post information about 11+ test content (e.g. questions my child can recall), or request such information?"
      Remember that there may well be sessions for late sitters. As a responsible forum we will not allow anything to be posted that might prejudice the integrity of the test.
      No one should be revealing any aspect of test content unless a moderator has agreed.
      Evidence that it is safe to post should be clear and beyond doubt (e.g. in writing from an authoritative source).
      Copyright must be respected.

This FAQ forms part of the 'Rules & Guidance'.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 90#p346290" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

• Thank you
Snowdaddy

Re: Tiffin second stage

Post by Snowdaddy »

The second stage exams only started 3 years ago (those currently in year 9 were first to take them)

They have changed a bit each year, 3 years ago there was just titles, English and maths released in advance, no formats, no indication of length or number of questions, no clue as to the time available for each paper. Tiffins changes the tests to try and stop people learning how to pass the test. The tests tend to be pitched at a high level 5 or level 6, it would be no use setting them at level 4 and then everyone getting similar good results (need to be able to rank the candidates) which is why some questions will seem hard.

I don't think it is appropriate to answer any questions that might benefit late sitters (and its against forum rules).

However if you want the history then I suggest you scroll back a few pages in the Surrey section until you find similar threads about 12 months, 24 months and 36 months ago as these may answer your question.
happymommy

Post by happymommy »

Can someone please suggest some books to do Standard maths for tiffins stg2?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

1. Maths books covering full KS2 syllabus.
2.S&S Maths problems book 5 & 6
3. Maths books covering KS3 syllabus but do only level 6 and maybe some of level 7 questions relating to KS2 topics.

Then, past papers of independent schools which you could download from their websites.

Perhaps other forum members could also help and give more tips.

All the best.
happymommy

Post by happymommy »

tiffinboys wrote:1. Maths books covering full KS2 syllabus.
2.S&S Maths problems book 5 & 6
3. Maths books covering KS3 syllabus but do only level 6 and maybe some of level 7 questions relating to KS2 topics.

Then, past papers of independent schools which you could download from their websites.

Perhaps other forum members could also help and give more tips.

All the best.
Thank you tiffinboys for the info.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

FWIW I think you really need to be careful to not prepare stuff that will not come up.

Stick to KS2; Just make sure you have covered it all.

Preparing beyond KS2 just increases the scope and stress of the process.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati