Selective Eligibility Test - marking of papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
4mykids

Re: Selective Eligibility Test - marking of papers

Post by 4mykids »

It’s quite ironic if it was indeed WCGS that incorrectly marked the papers, that it’s SGS and Wilson’s who now have to hurriedly organise and mark last-minute Stage 2 exams.

After the brouhaha and reaction to the original email send out by WCGS to the boys who had passed the SET the first time around, I can’t see WCGS being very popular with the other schools at the moment.

I also feel for the boys affected, as having to take the test with just a few days’ notice after "standing down" from their preparation and revision for a few weeks must be really tough.
Niegs

Post by Niegs »

I really feel for the boys who have been put through this emotional rollercoaster. Its really frustrating and the schools should come clear as to what exactly happened but I guess that won't ever happen.Good luck to the boys who are sitting for the paper today.I hope a new paper has been set for them to be truly fair to everyone.
kashifzs

Post by kashifzs »

Wilson's done. Onto Sutton tomorrow. DS found today's paper very difficult. Am wondering if it's because his confidence has taken a knock.
On a side note it was nice of the headmaster to come out and address the parents. I've found Wilson's to be very approachable and receptive..
agathachristie

Post by agathachristie »

kashifzs wrote:Wilson's done. Onto Sutton tomorrow. DS found today's paper very difficult. Am wondering if it's because his confidence has taken a knock.
On a side note it was nice of the headmaster to come out and address the parents. I've found Wilson's to be very approachable and receptive..
Well done to your DS. any idea of numbers today??
kashifzs

Post by kashifzs »

Thanks! The headmaster stated that the error had affected 71 boys.
Moormum

Post by Moormum »

My son found Maths very difficult but he was on time and English was really interesting for him. Now he is absolutely exhausted. It's hard to be ready for tomorrow's exam. Poor children!
Curiousparent

Post by Curiousparent »

Well done to all the DSs who sat the paper today and good luck to all for tomorrow.

I thought a poster also asked the question about why some (versus all) of the girls got an email, when 71 boys were affected. At the cost of labouring on, I wish we could get to the bottom of the issue. I think it would just help with the credibility of the whole process.

Also, is there any way to seek more transparency from the schools going forward especially since the first stage marks count towards the overall results? To my knowledge, SET is the only 11+ exam that does not provide marks, ranks etc. and hence seems to have the lowest transparency.

Finally, anyone have any idea whether this will impact the result timelines for the girl's schools?

Apologies if it seems like I am venting a bit, and thank you for all the moral support that we continue to get from all the posters on this forum.
Castlesinthesky

Post by Castlesinthesky »

Seems very odd. Spoke to a mum earlier whose son didn't pass the SET, despite being expected to do so, who received an email to confirm he still hadn't passed on Friday.
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Spoke to a friend whose DS hadn't met the cutoff score (whatever secret number it was) for Wallington. But now the parents have received an email that DS is indeed eligible to apply for a space in Wallingon. I find this confusing.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

I hope all goes well for the boys called back to sit the 2nd stage.

Regarding timing of the results notification - does anyone have a view as to whether we are still likely to receive the results by end of play on 23 October, or should we expect a delay with Wilson's and SGS having to mark the additional test papers?
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now