Chances of OOC in Wellington boys & Greenshaw

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mp246

Chances of OOC in Wellington boys & Greenshaw

Post by mp246 »

Hello,

My DS cleared SET for Wellington and Greenshaw and want to know the chances if we mention both in CAF.
We are not living in Sutton and I understand that we have to move if our DS get a seat in any of these.
As we are bit far away to closest good state school (oversubscribed) so analysing the chances, in these schools, based on SET result.

Do they consider only rank (which we don't know) or distance or both for deciding the allocation. I understand Wellington boys is always in much demand so if we don't get option for Wellington then what are the chances for Greenshaw?

I am not able to find any previous year stats, Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks MP

Note - We have no issue to move.
tiffinboys

Re: Chances of OOC in Wellington boys & Greenshaw

Post by tiffinboys »

Best is to read, first hand, the admission policies of the schools you are interested in.
newdud

Post by newdud »

My DS cleared SET for Wellington and Greenshaw and want to know the chances if we mention both in CAF.
I assume you mean WCGS. As far as I know , they do not have a catchment, admision is done on rank order.
When two boys have the same rank then the one closest to the school gets in.
The alos give prefrerance to boys on FSM.

As for Greenshaw, I think they have around 60 places for rank order based on the SET results. The other 120 places are based on distance only, no selection !

For both school, this information is on the web site under the Admission section
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

As for Greenshaw, I think they have around 60 places for rank order based on the SET results. The other 120 places are based on distance only, no selection !
Greenshaw have a total of 60 places based on SET out of a total PAN of 254, so 194 non-selective places. However last year they offered 75 SET places, presumably because they saw that there were at least 15 OOC applicants who had applied, presumably without checking the school out at all. What we don't know is how many of the children who actually started got their place via the SET rather than distance.
mp246

Post by mp246 »

Thanks tiffinboys, newdud and Ladymuck.

@Ladymuck, From where you got the information about 75 offered places for GHS as there are max 60 places. I didn't find this info. Please share the link (PM me if you want).
I am also interested to know about the GHS school as I haven't visited the school yet and planning to do in near future.
Is it really a good school (actually people don't discuss about this) and worth to move if we don't get admission in WCGS (fingers crossed)?
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Greenshaw isn't a grammar school, it is a comprehensive school. Bearing in mind that Sutton does have 3 boys grammar schools, you would be looking at a comp without the usual top set of children. I would certainly look closely at which subjects are set - as far as I am aware it is a full ability school, and doesn't set or stream. If I was looking for a comp then I would want one with all abilities including the brightest, not one where they had been creamed off.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

mp246 wrote: I am also interested to know about the GHS school as I haven't visited the school yet and planning to do in near future.
Is it really a good school (actually people don't discuss about this) and worth to move if we don't get admission in WCGS (fingers crossed)?
Whether relocation is worth it or not also depends on what your other options are. As your DS has taken tests in many schools, which one is near to your present location?
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

In terms of the 75 offers, you can find it in https://www.sutton.gov.uk/downloads/fil ... oklet_2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the Sutton trasnfer to seconadry school booklet. You can see that Greenshaw made 75 offers on the basis of aptitude, taking it to 15 offers over PAN. As with Wilson's it was allowed to offer over PAN as Sutton Council were satisfied that not all of these offers would be taken up.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Since Wilson's is an Academy, they don't have to satisfy Sutton LEA. Mainly they had to look for their own facilities to be able to accommodate extra pupils, if all had accepted the offer. I believe, schools can increase PAN or make extra offers (if they want to) without any consultation.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

No, Tiffinboys, it doesn't quite work that way. Otherwise Wilson's would be open to appeals on the basis that there is room for more pupils. If you wade through the document you will find that Sutton LA have agreed to an initial overoffer as the schools are confident that the number of pupils will be reduced below PAN by 1 September. Wilson's are part of the pan-London admissions arrangements, so do have to comply with Sutton LAs processing of those arrangements.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now